Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

syncing m4v to ipod classic 160gb

Hi Everyone!!!

I am having problems syncing my m4v converted media to my iPod Classic 160GB. I have the latest firmware or software updates for iTunes and the iPod device itself. Is there a patch that I need to play or sync m4v files to my iPod? Please help. Thanks.

iPod classic, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on Apr 21, 2011 7:19 PM

10 replies

Apr 22, 2011 12:52 AM in response to planb77

Well, the dialog box that pops up says, "(name of movie) was not copied to the iPod because it cannot be played on this iPod." Although the my iPod syncs with and plays media with the file extension .mp4, I don't know why it does not sync the media with file extension .m4v? When I talked with one of the Best Buy personnel, they exclaimed that their own personal iPods sync with and pays both .mp4 and .m4v file extensions. Do you have any recommendations?

Apr 22, 2011 5:39 AM in response to Bowling James

Well your iPod can be a bit picky when it comes to movie format specifics. Have you tried using iTunes built in converter to conver the movie to a more iPod friendly format? To do this, highlight the movie in iTunes and choose Create iPod or iPhone version from the Advanced drop down menu.

When it has finished converting, try syncing the new version to your iPod. Any luck now?

B-rock

Feb 7, 2013 2:14 PM in response to Bowling James

I have this same problem. I have a 160GB Classic I bought 2 months ago. I have been able to dowload TV shows and movies, then convert them using Smart Converter and selecting "convert for ipod classic" Been doing this 10-15 shows a week no problems. Then for some reason this week when I try to sync my iPod it gives me the message cannot sync because it cannot be played. I confirmed all the video specs are able to be played on the iPod via iPod Classic spec sheet. Even stranger it will sync movies that I converted the same way prior to this week, and the "get info" meta data is the same. Ihave the latest updates for both the iPod and my Mackbook Pro. I also tried handbrake, to convert and same problem. It will however sync "video podcasts" like before. Also as mentioned there is no Advanced drop down menu anymore. I have now spend litteraly hours and hours trying to figure this out.....

Feb 7, 2013 7:38 PM in response to ciati

When you said "recently bought" do you mean from iTunes? If so that is pathetic for Apple. The only reason to pay the premium for movies on iTunes is the simplicity, if they lose that, they have nothing......

This actually resovled my problem. I download my movies and TV shows, then convert to to an iTunes friendly version, then I have to use the iTunes converter, really it adds a step and makes it more of of a pain. Just weird that this changed from last week.......

Aug 23, 2015 1:00 PM in response to ciati

Found this on another site on which the same problem was reported. In my case, it turned out that my .mp4 files had a higher resolution than the iPod could support. It may be that you (and I) will need to convert our mp4 files to conform to the iPod's abilities, using video editing software in those cases in which the iTunes menu 'File-->Create New Version-->Create iPod or iPhone Version' doesn't do the job.

"The iPod can play MPEG-4 video to the following specifications (I quote):

'up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 x 480, 30 frames per sec., Simple Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 kbps, 48 Khz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats'

Files which fall outside these specs evidently won't work."

syncing m4v to ipod classic 160gb

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.