Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Backup files on PC becomes too big, how to delete files not needed and where to delete them?

I used iTune to manage iPhone and iPad. iTune will back up content of both devices. I found that recently the backup files become too many and used up a significant amount of my PC harddisk. How do I go about to delete old backup files to release harddisk space? Thanks.

iPhone 3GS, iOS 4.3.2

Posted on Apr 21, 2011 10:54 PM

5 replies

Apr 22, 2011 4:01 AM in response to tai loy

Backups for iPods, iPhones, and iPads are fairly small in size... 60-70mb approximately.

I seriously doubt they are filling your hard drive or using a significant amount of space.

You can remove backups via iTunes

Edit > Preferences > Devices

Select the backup or backups and delete them.

Here's the Apple support article about backups: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1766

May 21, 2015 9:21 PM in response to tai loy

This is an old post but I am having the same problem syncing to a laptop with just 128GB main C drive, Windows 8. I backed up my iphone and ipad and 20gb were used up. Can I tell itunes to put this in an external drive I used to point itunes to where my music and videos are on an external F drive? Why aren't the other files that itunes is backing up from my iphone and ipad in that folder I pointed to on my F external drive?

Jun 20, 2015 4:52 PM in response to nodaicrag

This technique can be used to move the iOS backup data to another locally connected NTFS drive.

Relocate iOS device backups

1. Make a new folder called MobileSync at the root of the drive you want the backup data to live on, e.g. as D:\MobileSync
  2. Use Windows Explorer to move current Backup folder at <SystemDrive>\Users\<User>\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup into the folder you just made. If the backup folder is large this may take some time.
  3. To make iTunes look for the data in the new location copy the text below, open a command prompt, right-click to paste in the command, edit the drive letter/path if needed, and then press <Enter>.
    MkLink /J "%AppData%\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup" "D:\MobileSync\Backup"

If you want the backup elsewhere replace D:\MobileSync accordingly.

Note that while this method works for iOS device backups it cannot be used to redirect sections of the media library.

tt2

Backup files on PC becomes too big, how to delete files not needed and where to delete them?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.