Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Frame forwarding with mac server

Hello,

I'm new with using Mac OS Server (version 10.6.7) and I have my own domain name. When someone my domain they are redirected to my ip-address at home. But when that happens the url changes from www.example.com to 11.22.345.345. So I selected "frame forwarding" to prevent this from happening. But now my site is inaccessible. I'm using the standard Mac Server site with the blog, calendar etc. I have little experience using web servers so please help me without making it all to difficult 🙂

Thanks in advance,

MBKTEL

Mac mini, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on Apr 22, 2011 1:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 22, 2011 7:26 AM

Given you're obfuscating, I can't be certain, but given the combination of obfuscation and problems, you're probably on a residential service tier and using some form of dynamic DNS. Public static DNS with public static IP connections generally don't have these issues.

The easiest way to do this is to set up public DNS to translate to your public static IP, port-forwarding at your gateway (and you probably want one of those) and it'll all work. The public DNS is preferably at your ISP, as (for the security-related services including https and SMTP) your ISP controls reverse DNS translations. This is the typical server-oriented connection.

Frame forwarding is a form of a reverse proxy scheme for web sites, and you likely don't want that.

Your public DNS should translate to your public static IP address, and not a redirect or frame-forward nor reverse proxy of any sort.

If you're using dynamic IP as I suspect here, then you're probably going to have all the usual issues that arise with network connectivity that result. Dynamic DNS works for simple stuff and is adequate for client-oriented activities, but it doesn't work particularly well with server-oriented network operations, and server-oriented traffic on residential ISP service tiers can be and variously is blocked by the ISP.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 22, 2011 7:26 AM in response to mbktel

Given you're obfuscating, I can't be certain, but given the combination of obfuscation and problems, you're probably on a residential service tier and using some form of dynamic DNS. Public static DNS with public static IP connections generally don't have these issues.

The easiest way to do this is to set up public DNS to translate to your public static IP, port-forwarding at your gateway (and you probably want one of those) and it'll all work. The public DNS is preferably at your ISP, as (for the security-related services including https and SMTP) your ISP controls reverse DNS translations. This is the typical server-oriented connection.

Frame forwarding is a form of a reverse proxy scheme for web sites, and you likely don't want that.

Your public DNS should translate to your public static IP address, and not a redirect or frame-forward nor reverse proxy of any sort.

If you're using dynamic IP as I suspect here, then you're probably going to have all the usual issues that arise with network connectivity that result. Dynamic DNS works for simple stuff and is adequate for client-oriented activities, but it doesn't work particularly well with server-oriented network operations, and server-oriented traffic on residential ISP service tiers can be and variously is blocked by the ISP.

Apr 22, 2011 9:06 AM in response to MrHoffman

Thanks MrHoffman, I turned the frameforwarding off again. But the DNS provides some problems. I set the primary dns name of my server to server.example.com en name of the server to 'server'. But what do I choose as the DNS server for my server? On my other macs it's the IP address of my router. What further steps should I take so that the traffic from www.example.com is forwarded to my mac server at home?

Apr 22, 2011 10:03 AM in response to mbktel

I set the primary dns name of my server to server.example.com en name of the server to 'server'

The big question is where are you doing this?

If you're doing this on your own server then it doesn't make much difference what you do - no one on the public internet is going to see it.

If you're doing this on a hosted DNS server (e.g. your ISP or domain registrar's DNS service) then that's wrong since the primary DNS server for your domain is your ISP/registrar.

Given that we don't know enough about your setup, it's almost impossible to advise the correct solution. Please describe your setup in more detail, specially as it relates to your DNS servers.

Apr 24, 2011 8:58 AM in response to mbktel

You would probably not be "forwarding" from your public DNS servers nor your public web sites nor from whatever it is that you're running here where you're setting up this "frame forwarding" stuff.

What little "forwarding" is involved here is usually implemented at the external gateway box on your network (within the firewall, gateway, router, NAT box at the edge of your network), by enabling and using a mechanism known as "port forwarding."

If you need or want to obfuscate your network settings, then I'd suggest getting somebody to look at this formally; somebody that can review the current configuration details and can interview you for your particular local requirements. These usually aren't difficult to sort out, and you'll get a chance to ask some questions.

If you're not going to follow that path, then here is how to setup network to access into your server. There are links there to other topics related to networking and DNS server configuration on Mac OS X Server.

Frame forwarding with mac server

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.