Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

BT Home Hub and Airport Express Issues

Hello all

I am having major issues setting up my airport express to my home hub and also setting up Time Capsule to join my wireless network...

I really need a step by step guide if possible.

Can anyone help please?

Thanks

PC

MacBook Pro

Posted on Apr 22, 2011 3:33 AM

18 replies

Apr 22, 2011 10:46 AM in response to philcooper007

Welcome to the discussions!

You told us that you were having "major issues", but did not tell us specifically how you are trying to configure the AirPort Express, or what service you want it to perfrom on your Home Hub network, so providing a step by step guide is not possible without a bit more information.

Can you clarify on this, please?

In regards to configuring your Time Capsule to "join" the Home Hub wireless network, do you understand that the ethernet ports on the Time Capsule are not enabled in this type of configuration, so you will not have the option to back up large files or make initial backups using an ethernet connection?

In order for the Time Capsule to "join" the wireless network provided by the Home Hub router, you willl need to know (or be able to locate) the exact type of wireless security settings that your Home Hub is using. The Time Capsule must be provided with this information in order for it to "join" the wireless network successfully.

Can you provide this information, or if you do not know, check with your service provider to obtain this information? We cannot proceed with the configuration until we have this information.

If you are able to locate the Time Capule near your Home Hub and establish a permanent ethernet connection between the Home Hub and Time Capsule, you will be able to backup using the Home Hub wireless network and also have the option to backup using ethernet if you wish. In addition, this type of installation is much simpler to configure (and more reliable in operation in my experience) and we would not need to know the type of wireless security that the Home Hub uses if you choose this setup option.

Please post back when you have an opportunity.

Apr 23, 2011 5:58 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Hey Bob

Thanks for responding...

With regards to the Airport express, I am trying to join my wireless network to allow my iTunes to play through my home stereo system, I hope this help...?

With regards to the Time Capsule, can you tell me what info you require when you say 'wireless security settings', I am sure I can locate them if I know specifically what I am looking for.

I can certainly place the Time Capsule near the Home Hub and connect via ethernet... would I still be able to remotely back up via wireless this way also?

Thanks again Bob

Apr 23, 2011 6:16 AM in response to philcooper007

Let's tackle the AirPort Express first.

In order for the Express to "join"' the wireless network that the Home Hub is providing, the Express must receive the correct information to be able to connect to the wireless network during the setup and configuration of the device.

By security settings, we're talking about the particular type of wireless security that the Home Hub is using. Some examples of common wireless security settings, to name a few are:

WPA2-PSK-AES

WPA-PSK-TKIP

WPA2 Personal

WPA/WPA2 Personal

If you are able to access the settings for your Home Hub, you should be able to locate information about the type of security that the device is using. Your service provider may be able to help if you are not sure how to do this.

Then, when you are using AirPort Utility to configure the Express using the guided setup to "join a wireless network", you will have the correct setting to enter when AirPort Utility asks you to provide:

1) Wireless network name....I am sure you know this

2) Wireless Security....it will be similar to one of the examples shown above

Post back when you have located this info and we'll get you started on the AirPort Express.

Apr 23, 2011 8:48 AM in response to philcooper007

That's the info that we need.

Follow the instructions to setup the AirPort Express in the setup guide.

When you power up the Express, allow a good 40-45 seconds for it to start up. You'll see a slow blinking amber light when this occurs. I would recommend that you locate the Express near your Home Hub for the configuration. You can move it to the desired location once you have the device configured and updated.

The Express creates a temporary wireless network that you must connect to so that you can configure it with AirPort Utility. The wireless network name is something like Apple Network xxxxxx. Look for this network on your computer and log on to the Apple Network xxxxxx. There is no security or password on this network.

Open AirPort Utility and click Continue to follow the guided setup. The first page will ask you to name your Airport Express and establish a password to access the device in the future. Write that info down.

Choose the option to "Join a wireless network" and follow the prompts

When you get to the page that asks for the info about your wireless network, enter the name of the network. You need to choose the security setting for WEP 40 Bit (This is the same as WEP 64 Bit) and enter the 10 digit password in the password area

Continue to follow the guided setup and that should get you going. You will see a green light on the Express 40-45 seconds after you hit the Update button if your settings are correct.

Apr 23, 2011 9:29 AM in response to philcooper007

When you click on the small arrow on the selection box for Security on the AirPort Express setup, you should see a list of choices

WPA2 Personal

WPA/WPA2 Personal

WEP 128 Bit

WEP 40 Bit

None

Are you selecting the WEP 40 Bit option? That is the same as WEP 64 Bit.

Unfortunately, you'll have to "hard reset" the AirPort Expres by holding in the reset button for 10-12 seconds. Give the Express 40-45 seconds to restart and start over with the configuration. You may need to restart your computer as well if AirPort Utiility is having trouble finding the AirPort Express.

Apr 23, 2011 9:45 AM in response to philcooper007

On the Time Capsule, I just want to be clear on how you want to install it and what features you need.

For example, the Time Capsule can provide a wireless network. Do you need that feature? Or, do you plan to backup using the Home Hub wireless network connection?

Do you need to be able to backup to the Time Capsule using an ethernet connection? The advantage here is that ethernet is faster, but this type of installation will require that the Time Capsule be permanently connected to the Home Hub using an ethernet cable. You will be able to back up using ethernet if you connect directly to the Time Capsule using an ethernet cable, or also via wireless.

You have the option of configuring the Time Capsule to "join a wireless network". You know that works, becasue you just did it with the AirPort Express and you will use the exact same settings to configure the Time Capsule if you choose this method. Backups will occur only over wireless in this type of configuration, so that may be a possible downside.

A possible upside of the "join" configuration is that the Time Capsule can be located virtually anywhere where it can receive a good wireless signal. In the unfortunate event of a theft or break in, the bad guys may take your computer, but they probably will not take the Time Capsule since it's located in a different area, maybe even hidden a bit. At least you will still have a copy of all of your data if something like this occurs.

Which do you prefer?

Apr 23, 2011 10:00 AM in response to philcooper007

I would suggest that you temporarily move your laptop to the area where you propose to locate the Time Capsule and make sure that you can get a good wireless signal at that location, to insure good backups.

The procedure to setup the Time Capsule to "join your wireless network" is exactly the same as the setup for the AirPort Express, which you have successfully configured.

Obviously, you will want to assign a different name to the Time Capsule and possibly a different device password, otherwise the configuration is the same. You should have a green light in short order.

Post back on your progress. Once you have the green light, I can help with your first Time Machine backup if you need some assistance.

BT Home Hub and Airport Express Issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.