Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

u2711 snowy

I am wondering if anyone else is experiencing the following issue and has a solution for it: Dell U2711 external monitor connected to mid-2009 macbook pro via Mini Display Port to DualLink DVI adapter. The Dell monitor intermittently displays a "snowy" picture. What I see on the screen is similiar to watching a TV broadcast with very poor reception. The problem always occurs at system startup or when logging on / powering up the monitor. I have tried replacing the DualLink adapter as well as the DVI cable. This didn't solve the problem. The issue occurs about once or twice per day. Cycling the power on the monitor usually gets the picture back to normal.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on Apr 22, 2011 6:30 AM

4 replies

May 20, 2011 11:15 AM in response to alenfromzagreb

I was never able to find a solution but I suspect the issue is with the Mini Display Port to DualLink DVI adapter. My DELL monitor works fine on another computer so the issue is NOT with the monitor. It is not happening as frequently as before (maybe once a week or so) and it's always resolved by cycling the power on the monitor. Maybe apple will fix this with a firmware update sometime in the future (let's hope!).

May 20, 2011 11:23 PM in response to dougfromwest kelowna

I seams to my also that the problem is caused by the MiniDisplay Port to DualLink DVI adapter. In the meanwhile I find many critics about that adapter. I also find this link: http://support.apple.com/kb/ts3232. Dell monitor is not mentioned there, but it seams to me that they are talking about the same/similar problem. If I understand correctly I can’t upgrade the adapter firmware by myself, so no solution there.

Did you consider some kind of Mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort Cable instead?

u2711 snowy

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.