Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot file share between MacBook Pro and iMac, but can Screen Share fine.

Hi all,

Very strange problem going at the minute!

I can Screen Share both ways (iMac - MBP and MBP - iMac) just fine but can't seem to File Share between either computer. They are both on the same network and both have the exact same settings under SysPrefs. I can see both devices in a Finder window and can click the 'Connect As...' button, but once I've put in my credentials, the message in the Finder window changes from 'Connecting...' to 'Connection Failed' in a matter of seconds.

Both have AFP switched on and neither has the Firewall enabled. I also cannot FTP between either computer via 'Connect to Server...', but I can utilise iTunes Home Sharing perfectly.

I've tried pretty much everything I can find on the WWW, but nothing's worked! Help!

Thanks!

iMac

Posted on Apr 22, 2011 8:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 22, 2011 7:07 PM

Perhaps look over this Knowledge Base article and perhaps you can find out what may be wrong;

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1549

2 replies

Apr 23, 2011 2:51 AM in response to Dah•veed

Hi, thanks for your help!

I think I've solved the problem now (at long last!).

Somehow, my sharing permissions on my Home folder on either computer won't allow me access. I've tried repairing permissions multiple times, but to no avail.

I've solved the problem by sharing my Macintosh HD, rather than my individual Home folder and I can access everything as normal now.

Cannot file share between MacBook Pro and iMac, but can Screen Share fine.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.