Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problem with 3 Apple 27" LED and Mac Pro 2010 with ATI 5770

I bought three Apple 27" LED Cinema Displays for my Mac Pro 2010 with an ATI 5570. I was aware that the 5770

has only 2 mini display ports and one DL DVI, that's why I bought the GEFEN "Dual Link DVI to Mini DP Converter".

http://www.gefen.com/kvm/dproduct.jsp?prod_id=9898

Everything is working fine when I boot the system into Snow Leopard. All 3 displays can go up to the highest resolution

of 2560 x 1440, but when I boot into Windows 7 using bootcamp only the displays attached to the mini display ports

work at their highest resolution and not the one on the DL DVI. That one for some reason just allows me to choose between

800 x 600 and 720p.

I downloaded the latest bootcamp and drivers from ATI hoping that would be it and nothing.

I tried searching for this problem here and on the internert with nothing, I guess maybe not to many people

have a use for 3 apple cinema monitors and this problem hasn't been discovered. Or maybe there are

people out there with 3 of these monitors but only using snow leopard.

I contacted GEFEN and they told me everything should work because it can be used on a mac or pc as long as the DVI is dual link, but

that it may have something to do with apple software such as bootcamp.

Any suggestions or anyone with the same problem whether using this method or another?

Thanks in advance guys!

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on Apr 22, 2011 10:40 AM

1 reply

May 28, 2011 3:49 PM in response to ciscomanny

Same problem!! Apple can't even support their own monitors on their own computers---you have to pay $400 more for adapters ($200x2) just to hook up their monitors to THEIR PRODUCT. Why couldn't Apple put a DVI-D port on it's monitor? And, even then, it doesn't work in bootcamp. The max resolution is 1280 x 720 in bootcamp DVI-D.

STUPID APPLE ----

I've now spent two full days trying to bird-dog this problem. I called Apple support on three related questions to the mini-display port to dual link dvi conversion and here was their answer:

1) way can't I get full resolution from the Gefen or the Atlona converter: A. We don't know. Must be (their) issue.

2) can I put in a third video card (ATI Radeon 5770) so as to get the additional 2 monitors? A. We don't have any information on if that is possible.

3) is there any reason why either of these cards work on the MAC OS and in Windows 7 BUT not in bootcamp windows 7? A. We don't support windows 7 or bootcamp issues related to this kind of problem.

GEEESH. I'm so fed up with Apple. In the words of Steven Jobs to an employee who describes what a product is supposed to do: "Then why the #$#@@(! doesn't it do that!??!"

Problem with 3 Apple 27" LED and Mac Pro 2010 with ATI 5770

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.