Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Dropped my 4G ipod and now I only have 3 GB capacity.

I was outside on a walk with my ipod and case came off the belt clip and it dropped onto the asphalt. I had to restore it, but now, instead of 30 GB capacity, I have 3 GB. I have scanned it in Diagnostics mode, with no errors, no reallocations and no pending sectors. According to the diagnostics, it is working perfectly. Does anybody know if there is a way to get the rest of my hard drive capacity back? Otherwise, this thing is going into the trash and I'll go for a player that has flash storage instead.

iPod classic, Windows 7

Posted on Apr 22, 2011 11:56 AM

3 replies

Apr 23, 2011 9:06 AM in response to ecipher

Hello ecipher,

The only suggestion I have is to try a lower level format of the iPod using the tools provided by Windows. To reformat your iPod, open up Computer from the Start menu. Locate your computer in the list of mounted drives, right->click on it and choose Format. Disable the Quick format option and make sure the format is set to FAT32.

If that doesn't work, it's likely a hardware issue that may be something other than the hard drive, such as the logic board itself or the hard drive's ribbon cable. Hard to say for sure.

B-rock

Apr 26, 2011 6:06 AM in response to planb77

I tried the reformat, but that didn't help. I opened up the case and unplugged the hard drive, then plugged it back in. After that, it showed the formatted capacity as 3.7GB, but had 26GB unused. However, when I plugged it into my pc, it wouldn't show anything but the 3.7GB, even in Disk Management in Windows. Now I don't know what to think.

Dropped my 4G ipod and now I only have 3 GB capacity.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.