Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why won't "Shared" disappear after turning off Home Sharing?!

So I have two computers at my house. A desktop and a notebook, both running Windows 7 and with iTunes installed on them, both on the same Wi-Fi network.

On the desktop I'm logged in and authorized on iTunes with my account (Apple ID) and on the notebook, my father is logged in with his Apple ID.

I leave Home Sharing on the desktop always on and today I turned it on on my father's notebook as well, using my Apple ID, iTunes asked me to authorize the notebook with my account as expected, because I never had logged in with my account nor authorized that machine with it.
Ok, everything occurred just as it was supposed to, my father was able to see my library and I was able to see his.
Then after that we decided to turn Home Sharing off on my father's notebook. We did so, and even after turning it off, the "Shared" option and my library's name are still visible on the menu on the left. Why is that?! How can I turn it off/make it disappear?!

I tried turning Home Sharing off on both computers and it didn't work.
I tried de-authorizing his computer from my apple id and it didn't work.

Why is he able to see my library listed under "Shared" if I turned everything off?!

What should I do to make the "Shared" go away from the menu on the left?!

I would really appreciate some help.

Thank You,

Piero Mattos

Posted on Apr 22, 2011 8:35 PM

2 replies

Dec 22, 2011 7:35 AM in response to pieromattos

Have you gone to preferences and turned off 'Share my library on my local network' ? If you haven't, this is what you do. Open iTunes, click on edit at the top left of the screen, then select preferences at the bottom of the menu. Go to the Sharing tab and turn off sharing your library.

Also make sure that Home Sharing is turned off under the 'advanced' tab at the top left of the screen.

I hope this helps!

Why won't "Shared" disappear after turning off Home Sharing?!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.