Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Finder display Desktop folder name in different language

Hi,

I'm running a MBP with Snow Leopard (10.6.7) in Simplified Chinese. In this setup the few special folders located in user's home directory i.e. Desktop, Library, Documents, etc all have their special display names in Finder. However now even other folders are displayed as their Chinese names correctly, the Desktop folder is now displayed in English, in all places like Finder, side bars and file picker dialogs from applications. Even this isn't breaking any apps I'm still wondering if I could fix it somehow.

I tried to change the current user's language settings to English then back but the Desktop problem is still there.

Creating a new user would have the correct name displayed.

User uploaded file

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Ryan

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on Apr 22, 2011 9:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 22, 2011 10:42 PM

Open the Terminal application in your /Applications/Utilities/ folder and enter the following command:

ls -la ~/Desktop

When this is done the Terminal will list all items in the Desktop folder, including hidden ones. In the resulting list, do you see a file called ".localized" (with a period before its name)? If not then try running the following command to create it:

touch ~/Desktop/.localized

When this is done, try logging out and back in to see if that allows the desktop folder to accept the new language translation.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 22, 2011 10:42 PM in response to Ryan Gao

Open the Terminal application in your /Applications/Utilities/ folder and enter the following command:

ls -la ~/Desktop

When this is done the Terminal will list all items in the Desktop folder, including hidden ones. In the resulting list, do you see a file called ".localized" (with a period before its name)? If not then try running the following command to create it:

touch ~/Desktop/.localized

When this is done, try logging out and back in to see if that allows the desktop folder to accept the new language translation.

Finder display Desktop folder name in different language

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.