Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HDD full because of boot camp fail

I was going to partion my HDD to install windows, so Boot camp crashed while making the parition, and the 70 GB I would use for Windows, is in the Macintosh HD, using almost all the space on my HDD, and there is nothing in there! So how can I fix it.

P.S.: Sorry for English, and sorry for the lack of information, but it's late and I'm really tired, so I can give more information tomorrow...

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.7), Boot Camp

Posted on Apr 23, 2011 12:04 AM

4 replies

Apr 23, 2011 12:09 AM in response to PaulFromBrazil

What format are you selecting MS-DOS FAT or NTFS?

If you are creating the partition as a NTFS format that can be a issue straight away you need to start as a MS DOS FAT format and when you insert the Windows disc to start the install then format to NTFS

You can also go to the Utilities folder double click on Disk Utility and remove the partition for Windows and start again

Apr 23, 2011 6:01 AM in response to PaulFromBrazil

First thing is to repair the drive from your OS X DVD - Utility menu and select Disk Utility.

Next, make sure you have backups before beginning.

OS X needs to have 10GB or more, and 15% or more left after this.

Boot Camp needs to have free unfragmented space. You may need to backup and then format and restore to get all the free space consolidated.

Backup and repair before starting should be a given. Mentioned as step one in the pdf guide.

http://www.apple.com/support/bootcamp

40GB is what Windows 7 64-bit takes probably before even considering page file, hibernation file space temp and caches. Also, the SP1 update requires about 1GB file (you can remove that a week or two after) but also 9GB for performing the update (temp space).

So 50-60GB is not unreasonable at all.

If you need full hardware resources and access and don't want to share RAM and the rest then Boot CAmp is great. And if you want to run Windows as a guest OS under Mac, then you need to install Windows via Boot CAmp first, then maybe use Parallels 6 to share the Windows partition. You can't create a VM and then go Boot Camp path.

HDD full because of boot camp fail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.