4 Replies Latest reply: Mar 6, 2014 4:43 PM by johncla
Ronniebel Level 1 Level 1

I'm trying to split a voice over audio clip  I recorded in Quicktime and imported into my project. I can't find the precision editor nor can I select the clip and activate the split clip command under the Clip menu.  It's dim.  I cannot find out how to split it.  Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

I'm using iMovie 11.

MacBook Pro Intel Core i7, Mac OS X (10.6.6)
Reply by Michele Gardner on Apr 23, 2011 9:53 AM Helpful

First I think you must turn on Show Advanced Tools from Preferences to be able to see the Precision Editor.  You don't need that to split a clip though.  The easiest way is to right click on a clip where you want to split it and choose Split Clip.

All replies

• Michele Gardner Level 2 Level 2

First I think you must turn on Show Advanced Tools from Preferences to be able to see the Precision Editor.  You don't need that to split a clip though.  The easiest way is to right click on a clip where you want to split it and choose Split Clip.

• Ronniebel Level 1 Level 1

I happened to stumble upon the solution.  Not sure how I figured it out, but the Split clip is now NOT dim.  It took me 3 hours on this Saturday morning to get to that point. 

Thanks for all your reply.

Ron

• Ronniebel Level 1 Level 1

One thing I don't understand is the different between dragging an audio clip over the project (which makes the large green background) and dragging it over a clip (which makes a thin green line below the clips.  In the latter case I was able to split clips (but only with the cmd shift S key).  In the former, I couldn't at all.  Everything was dim and the key board short cut didn't work either.

• johncla Level 1 Level 1

Using iMovie 11 on Mac 10.8.3, when I right-click on a sound track, this is the menu I see:iMovie.png

No 'split clip'.