Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Blu ray - Dual layer - compressor

I am wanting to use compressor (via FCP share function) to create a file of my 90 min movie to burn onto a dual layer blu ray disc. Compressor (using blu ray template option) has created a file (approx 18GB) that I can put on a single layer blu ray (no problems and looks great)... but I'm looking to maximize my quality and want dual layer... so hopefully compressor would kick me out a file that would be in the 40-50 GB range for this.... I just don't know how to set this up....HELP.... thoughts????

Best

Team AEI

final cut studio-OTHER, compressor / blu ray dual disc burn

Posted on Apr 23, 2011 9:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 23, 2011 9:39 AM

Go into Compressor and choose the H.264 for Blu-ray template, then in the Inspector window switch to the Encoder settings and toggle the File Format from H.264 for Blu-ray to anything else and then back again. When you do that then you'll see the Stream Usage control is now enabled and set to Blu-ray (before it was locked to AVCHD) also, with this setting you'll see that the Bit Rate controls now allow you to push up to (Avg) 30 Mbps and (Max) 35 Mbps respectively. Go ahead and push those up, then click the "Save As" button at bottom right and give your new custom preset an appropriate name. Try that one and see if it gets you what you want.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 23, 2011 9:39 AM in response to team aei

Go into Compressor and choose the H.264 for Blu-ray template, then in the Inspector window switch to the Encoder settings and toggle the File Format from H.264 for Blu-ray to anything else and then back again. When you do that then you'll see the Stream Usage control is now enabled and set to Blu-ray (before it was locked to AVCHD) also, with this setting you'll see that the Bit Rate controls now allow you to push up to (Avg) 30 Mbps and (Max) 35 Mbps respectively. Go ahead and push those up, then click the "Save As" button at bottom right and give your new custom preset an appropriate name. Try that one and see if it gets you what you want.

Apr 23, 2011 7:51 PM in response to Jeremy Hansen

The source's filesize is determined by the source codec's bitrate and the source file's length : source bitrate * source length.

The target's filesize is determined by the target codec's bitrate and the target file's length : target bitrate * target length.

Even though your source and target length are the same (in this case) the bitrates are still completely different ... so you see that you your source's filesize has absolutely nothing do with the target filesze but rather has everything to do with bitrate.

And the limit here is Compressor's built in options only go as high as 35Mbps max. If you want to encode at a higher bitrate then you need to either use a different compression app which natively supports higher bitrate encodings or you can augment Compressor with 3rd party hardware or software that allows higher bitrate encodings. For example, I can use my Matrox "MAX" equipped MXO2 (I/O box) to create accelerated H264/Blu-ray encodings, in Compressor, up to a maximum 50 Mbps.

Apr 23, 2011 9:35 PM in response to Andy Mees

thank you guys for helping me understand my limitations... I was hoping there was a compression setting somewhere in between. I am happy with my blu ray burnout of the movie (at 20gb)... it looks great... quite honestly to my eye it looks as good as my timeline in FCP... just wanted to see how High the quality could go!

thanks

Blu ray - Dual layer - compressor

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.