Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What Macbook Pro should I get for college?

I leave this June for summer sessions at Penn State and I need help deciding what type of Macbook to get.

I'm a biology major, so all I'll really be doing is writting papers using Microsoft Office, internet browsing, music/videos in iTunes and emails.

I'd think I'll install Photoshop for some casual edditing/messing around, nothing crazy though! I'd also like to play some games on this thing, just a casual gamer.

I've played around with the 13" and 15" and prefer the 13", it's just a better size for me...it's comfortable.

I plan on getting the 750GB HD and I'll probably be purchasing 8GB of Ram to install myself.

Will the jump from 4 to 8GB of memory make a big difference, atleast for the things I mentioned?

How about i5 to i7?

Thanks in advance!

Posted on Apr 23, 2011 10:17 AM

7 replies

Apr 23, 2011 10:24 AM in response to Sharkey13

Honestly, from what you described it doesn't appear like you will be running many applications at once (not more than two or three) and you don't have any processor/RAM intensive applications that you'll be using (except maybe photoshop). Honestly, 4 GB of RAM should be plenty. I mean if you add more you'll start to see if a difference if you get to a point when you are using up close to the whole 4 GB, but if you are just going to play a few games, browse, the web, and type in word, 4 will give you more than enough. I have the same feelings on i5 to i7. You may see a difference, but not a HUGE difference in what you are doing. However, you said you were a casual gamer so if you play games often that are very graphic intensive and the performance while you play is very important to you, you may want to think of adding just a little more RAM (maybe not a full 8 GB) and you may also want to spring for the i7.

Apr 23, 2011 10:52 AM in response to Sharkey13

I'd recommend the cheapest Macbook Pro 13" (the one with the i5 and 4 GB of RAM). i'm also a student and I've get this mac a week ago and I love it. For your needs you won't be dissapointed with this model.

Talking about gaming, I've played yesterday Counter-Strike Source and the performance isn't bad. You won't get awesome textures and that kind of things, but for a casual gamer you'll fine with this model, along with the others things such as browsing, Mail, Chat, Office, etc.

What Macbook Pro should I get for college?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.