Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I rotate a photo? iOS v1.2

I am trying to take a frame out of a movie shot with my iPhone, use it as a photo for a freeze-frame effect.

Here's the rub, I found the frame in the photo app and took a screengrab. Import into iMovie, and it's rotated incorrectly. I can rotate video clips, but not photos. I can't seem to edit the photo in the default Apple photo app, and if I use a third party app to rotate the image, iMovie patently refuses to acknowledge it's existance.

I've seen one solution about saving the photo as a video, but I do not think that option is available on the iPad. Any other ideas?

Video was shot on an iPhone 4 in landscape orientation, imported via camera connection kit.

Screen grab was taken on an iPad 2 in landscape orientation.

iPad 2, iOS 4.3.1

Posted on Apr 23, 2011 4:17 PM

2 replies

Apr 23, 2011 7:25 PM in response to Dain Unicorn

Video is easy in iMovie, but not photos.

There are a few apps that allow you to do it.

Go to the app store and search for "rotate photo".

There are a few free ones, like Rotate Mojo.

I know that's a pain, but that's the only way I can tell so far.

I managed to get "Iris Photo Suite" for free a while back, it is great for this (and has heaps of good photo edit tools too).

Why did you get a frame grab of the photo app rather then add the origonal photo into IMovie?

Apr 23, 2011 8:59 PM in response to Kiwiphone4

I have Photogene, iMovie refuses to see its directories, and it won't save back to the default Apple location (which is likely the problem). There was one or two other free ones I tried but since they didn't work I deleted them. I'll have a look at Iris though.

As for why I took a screen grab of the default photo app, I used it to cue up the exact frame I wanted to freeze on, waited for the UI to fade, and then snap with the top and home buttons at once. Is there a better way in iMovie of freezing on a single frame for a any length of time than grabbing the frame as a image and displaying the image as a photo? Thats how I learned to do that sort of thing ages ago on Premiere 4, but that was in the dark ages of OS 7.5.1

How do I rotate a photo? iOS v1.2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.