Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

songs stop playing when screen goes to sleep since1.1 update on nano G6

with the new 1.1 upgrade, my daughter now has a issue playing her ipod, it's the gen. 6 one.

Use to be when hit the sleep button it would save on battery life, and she would hit it and still be able to listen to her music.

now with the new update that button now is all different and basically does not have that funtion anymore.

So, now while she listens to music and the backlight on the nano get's dimmer, then dark. the music stops as well.

where as before the screen went black cause it went to sleep but the music still played.

Is there something we are missing here? does she need to go through and change a setting in her ipod?

I have searched all over for an answer to this or a similar issue and I can not find anything and it is really aggrevating.

Her nano is only 5 months old.

Any answers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

iPod nano

Posted on Apr 23, 2011 5:42 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 23, 2011 7:01 PM

make sure the headphones are plugged in all the way.

if that doesn't work, try a different set of headphones.

If the problem persists there is a problem with the earphone jack and your ipod needs to be serviced/exchanged.

29 replies

Apr 24, 2011 8:19 AM in response to tatianafrommoscow

I can't see it being a headphone issue. we have tried 3 sets and they all work.

Like I said, it is when the Nano goes to sleep, the music stops (when the backlight goes from normal, to dim then dark, it won't play any music) it pauses the music/song playing.

I don't see this being a earphone connection issue. I see this being a software issue.

Apr 24, 2011 8:20 PM in response to Browneyes7008

It's a combination of both. The software update makes the ipod pause when the screen turns off if it doesn't detect headphones, in effort to help in unnecessary battery drain. Unfortunately, this renders ipods with busted sensors pretty useless, as they won't allow the music to keep playing.

You'll ever have to revert to the 1.0 software or get it exchanged

Apr 27, 2011 11:33 AM in response to Browneyes7008

Here is exactly why it is happening to you.

The 1.1 update introduced a feature that would prevent you from accidentally leaving your nano playing with no headset inserted. I am not sure what Apple calls it, but lets just refer to it has headset detection.

This feature pauses playback when the screen goes dark if it does not detect a fully inserted headset.

So, the first thing to do... thing thing that about 99% of folks with this issue find as the solution... is to REALLY push that headset jack in. You should feel and hear a "Click" that is very definitive. For most folks, that solves the problem. Here is an article from Apple about it:

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3700

Now, if you think you have your headset fully plugged in, take a look at it. You should not be able to see even the smallest sliver of silver from the plug. It should all be inside the plug and not visible. If ANY of it is visible, your headset jack is NOT fully seated.

So if you have pushed as hard as you can and you STILL see silver or you have not gotten the click, what else could be wrong? Well, most likely something has gotten in there and is blocking it. Most likely pocket lint. Look down into the headphone port and see if it looks dark at the bottom. It should not, the bottom of the port is normally white. So if it just looks like a black abyss to you, then something is down there. Try canned air or something to get it out.

Another option might be that it is just plain dirty down there. Something is blocking the full connection. Some folks on here have indicated that a cleaning worked for them. I don't think I would suggest shoving anything into your headphone jack... but some have done it.

i

Apr 27, 2011 5:18 PM in response to iPod Whisperer

Thank you Ipod so much for the info 🙂

I will give this a try and see if anything happens. I do have a service call in for the ipod and got the packaging today to send it off. Will try this and see if anything changes, if not I will send it in.

One thing I do remember seeing is when I have plugged in her earphones, I did notice that I do see some silver, so I know now I do have a issue there Unless I have not plugged it in far enough.

So I will try this and go from there.

Again thank you for the Info, it was great 🙂

Apr 28, 2011 7:48 AM in response to Browneyes7008

I have this same issue since getting the latest firmware (1.1), only had the Nano 6G for a week! However it does seem it is 'headphone' related for sure - I used my Monster Turbine Pro Coppers, and it stops playing music as soon as the screen goes black (either after manually hitting sleep or after the timeout) - and if I put my headphones in my iPhone, I found they didn't register in the iPhone at all sometimes/click through the left speaker (other times they're fine) 😕

When I tried other 'phones, it works fine in the nano and plays when the screen is blackened... clearly Apple have added some kind of headphone management aspect to 1.1 that prevents the iPod working when it doesn't fully register the headphones and waste battery/provide less than full sound? I was about ready to spit feathers at Apple on this one... but seems actually it is my headphones are the problem! (not suprised - not been too pleased with these Turbine Pros or the customer service associated with them from Monster!)

Aug 1, 2011 11:04 AM in response to Browneyes7008

Sorry if this is a double post, but I just created this account and the last one didn't appear to go. Quick update as it stands:

Two potential problems:

1. Headphone jack. Often fixed by fully inserting headphones (and feeling foolish). Sometimes fixed by cleaning headphone port. Rarely fixed by switching headphones. Potentially an issue of a faulty headphone port, in which case you may be hosed, or not - I'm not sure how easy it is to fix.

2. The software. I have had this problem several times, and it has always been the software. Here is how I fix it:

1. Plug your ipod into your computer and open iTunes.

2. Select your iPod from the left side menu, and go to your music.

3. Begin playing music off of your iPod (not your computer) and skip a song or two and pause/unpause it once or twice.

4. Properly eject your iPod.

5. Plug in head phones, start playing some music, hit the power save button or let it go into powersave itself, and keep enjoying music.

Let me know if this works for any of you. I'm not entirely sure why this solution works, or how the problem even happens (I have my suspicions it's from improperly ejecting the device from a computer, based on the nature of the solution). What I do know is that I have fixed this issue several times with this method, and I hope it helps you as well!

Dec 17, 2011 8:11 AM in response to iPod Whisperer

I connect my Nano to a good radio via an aux wire which has a very poor connection (jack?). After reading tips on here I plugged the charger in at the same time - works perfectly now:)

One other thing - why can't Apple make a wire that goes into the charger type end of the ipod/iphone and the other end into the speaker/radio connection (auxilliary)? The charger type socket holds better.

songs stop playing when screen goes to sleep since1.1 update on nano G6

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.