Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How will upgrading the HD affect my Macbook Pro?

I'm getting ready to purchase a baseline 13" Macbook Pro.

I'm looking at getting the hard drive from macsales.com and have a few questions...

First off, with the 7200RPM drives...do you notice a great speed difference vs 5400? How is battery life, noise and overheating with the 7200 HD?

Western Digital vs Seagate HD?

They offer a 1.0TB 5400RPM HD from Samsung and Western Digital. Which one? Will I see problems putting a drive with that much space in my Macbook Pro?

Will my computer run slow if I come close to filling that 1.0TB HD?

750GB 7200 RPM vs 1.0TB 5400RPM HD?

Thanks in advance!

Posted on Apr 23, 2011 10:39 PM

12 replies

Apr 23, 2011 11:03 PM in response to Sharkey13

I recently upgraded my early 2008 MacBook Pro from a 250GB (5400) to a Western Digital Scorpio Black 750GB (7200) HDD. I notice the drive and my mac are faster, and it doesn't make noise to my knowledge. It is very dependable, and I am glad I upgraded. You mentioned you have a MacBook... What year is it? I know my brothers is an early 2008 MacBook and he upgraded it from a 160GB (5400) to a Western Digital Scorpio Black 640GB (7200) and that has been deemed as the max that model can take. I am not sure what the max is for the year you might have unless yours is the same as my brothers.

Basically speaking my brother and I have noticed a significant difference in the scorpio black drives we have installed, and believe me we don't regret it. We also found these drives for real cheap on Amazon.com. Here are some drives you might like, and hopefully they are cheaper in cost for you:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field keywords=western+digital+scorpio+black&x=0&y=0

Hope this helps...

Chris

Apr 23, 2011 11:26 PM in response to Sharkey13

I don't think any of the currently available Terabyte drives will work. The case is too thick. 750Gb is the largest made now that will physically fit.

Go with the 7200 rpm. The faster the drive spins, the faster it can read and write, all thing being equal. There are other things that effect speed like the size of the disk cache. In theory two disks that spin at the same speed, the one with the larger cache will be faster.

Compared to a 5400 rpm drive a 7200 will deliver approximately 20% faster access and will decrease battery life up to 20%. That will vary somewhat since some 7200 drives are very energy efficient and others are power hogs. Relatively.

It's like asking if Fords or Chevy are faster. It depends. If the Ford is a Shelby Mustang and the Chevy is small hybrid you can figure that the Ford will be a bit faster. Corvette vs Focus would give the opposite results.

Apr 24, 2011 6:24 AM in response to Sharkey13

With regard to fit, make sure the drive has a maximum height of 9.5 mm. The chassis is not designed for the taller 12.5 mm height drives. Additionally, you may want to consider upgrading to an SSD if you're more interested in seeing a performance boost. I recently upgraded my late 2006 (yes, you read that right-2006) MacBook Pro with an OCZ SSD, and it feels like a new laptop. Startup is just over 30 seconds, resume from sleep is less than 1 second, and launching Safari and MS Office apps all happen in less than 1 dock icon bounce.

Apr 24, 2011 5:56 PM in response to Sharkey13

The currently available 1TB 12.5MM drives fit perfectly into all unibody MacBook Pros, Apple's 9.5mm specification notwithstanding. Power consumption and heat are unlikely to be significantly different from standard factory drives, and some large drives draw less power than standard factory drives. Check the manufacturer's power consumption specs for the drive(s) you're considering.

MBP

How will upgrading the HD affect my Macbook Pro?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.