Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The "iPhone USB" network interface has not been set up.

The "iPhone USB" network interface has not been set up. I've been seeing that message every time I connect my iPhone to my iMac for a few weeks now. It happened after either an iTunes or iPhone software update. Does anyone know how I can fix it?

iPhone 4, iOS 4.3.2

Posted on Apr 24, 2011 7:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 19, 2017 6:46 AM

I know this is an old question, although I've only recently started seeing this phenomenon. I don't consider this to be a solution, but it is a solid workaround.

It's not about having hotspot enabled. Mine is never on.

What I did was opened the Network settings, clicked the + button to add a new network interface, and chose iPhone USB (your phone might have to be plugged in for this option to be available, but I'm not sure).

Then, with iPhone USB selected in the list, click the gear icon and set it to be inactive. Apply the changes, and you're done.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 19, 2017 6:46 AM in response to trommel

I know this is an old question, although I've only recently started seeing this phenomenon. I don't consider this to be a solution, but it is a solid workaround.

It's not about having hotspot enabled. Mine is never on.

What I did was opened the Network settings, clicked the + button to add a new network interface, and chose iPhone USB (your phone might have to be plugged in for this option to be available, but I'm not sure).

Then, with iPhone USB selected in the list, click the gear icon and set it to be inactive. Apply the changes, and you're done.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

The "iPhone USB" network interface has not been set up.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.