Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Killed iMac G5 -- Revival Possible ?

Following is a Synopsis of previous action taken on thread "Killed HD on iMAC G4<sic> -- Any Hope":

Needed to partition 148G External HD ---

Transfered 42G to iMac G5 with 48G available ---

After transfer, all individual files were deposited on Desktop of G5, without thinking, I copied desktop in order to make one file, consequently overloading G5 iMac which became unresponsive, showing only blank action boxes.

Under BDAqua's instructions I attempted booting in Target Mode, Single User, and Safe Mode. All modes work but G5 will not accept password (am looking for possible alternates) and I don't understand proper procedure in Single User Mode.

Would like to clean up IMAC G5. Will wait for help. ....goldie

External HD - 148G (USB only)

External HD - 1T (Firewire 400/800, USB, SATA)

iMAC G5 79G (overloaded)

iMac, Mac OS X (10.4.11), G5 79G 2G-Ram

Posted on Apr 24, 2011 8:37 AM

27 replies

Apr 24, 2011 12:55 PM in response to Goldenbill

With Target mode all you get is that floating FW symbol, do you have another Mac with FW? That is the way to see the G5's drive while it's in t mode, you need to not use the external drive, or cpnnect it to the other Mac.

Or are you trying to boot from the external drive? Does the external have an OS installed on it?

Apr 24, 2011 3:56 PM in response to BDAqua

I had given you a "Helpful Answer" before and meant to upgrade it to "Correct Answer" didn't mean to give it to myself. You told me to boot the G5 not the Intel in Firewire. It worked, sooooo, --"Correct Answer".

However, I still have a ways to go. I need to clean out a bunch of unwanted/duplicate files from the G5 HD on the Intel desktop. All the while the FW icon is drifting around on the G5. If I shut it down the HD goes off the Intel screen and file. I guess it's alright to just let the icon spin around until I get the files cleaned up?

What's more I've got company coming and the cat's yelling to get out. May be awhile before I get back. Don't go too far 😕 .....goldie

Apr 24, 2011 5:13 PM in response to Goldenbill

Ok, that should be enough free space.

Which Mac are you getting The Update Boot Cache message on?

When you're back to booting the G5, try this...

Restart your G5 computer, hold down Command+s and type in the following, when you geta DOS like prompt...

/sbin/fsck -fy Enter

/sbin/mount -uaw Enter

rm /var/db/.applesetupdone Enter

Spacesw are important...

/sbin/fsck [SPACE] -fy Enter

/sbin/mount [SPACE] -uaw Enter

rm [SPACE] /var/db/.applesetupdone Enter

Once you've done that the computer reboots and it's like the first time you used the machine. Your old accounts are all safe. From there you just change all other account passwords in the account preferences!!

Apr 25, 2011 9:19 AM in response to BDAqua

Did as told, when the black screen gave me a root curser I got:

localhost:/root# /sbin/fsck -fy

**/dev/rdisk0s3

**Root file system

**Checking Extents Overflow files.

**Checking Catalog file.

/sbin/mount -uaw (I don't know what happened here, this is what I entered

but nothing came up. perhaps I hurried it?)

First time I entered:

rm /v--- (the computer cut off "var" and entered):

rm/v** Checking multi-linked files

**Checking Catalog hierarchy

Second time entered:

rm /var/dbl.apple** (the computer cut off "applesetupdone" and entered):

**Checking extended attribute files

**Checking volume bit map

**Checking information

**The volume MacIntosh HD seems to be OK

Then I could get only "localhost/root#" although I reentered your codes again.

The G5 has been sitting there with a black screen for half an hour. I'm going to shut it down and reboot. I guess I did something wrong and will have to start over. Or if you meant that when I rebooted it would give me access to the initial accounts then all is well. I'll let you know.

Killed iMac G5 -- Revival Possible ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.