Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Attach PDF (or any document) to email.

Is there any way to attach documents (other than photos in the camera roll / photo library) to email I send? I mean documents (pdfs, etc) that sit in 3rd party apps such as Good Reader, Air Sharing, etc.

I *do not* want to email the docs from inside the said 3rd party apps since most of the time I am attaching docs to replies. I cannot reply from inside the 3rd party app.

Thanks in advance.

macbook pro 2007, Mac OS X (10.6.7), iPhone 3GS and 4, iOS4.3

Posted on Apr 24, 2011 10:07 AM

63 replies

Apr 24, 2011 7:28 PM in response to Knowurapple

Thanks, but that will not work for me since I want to attach the files to emails I am replying to.

1. I am replying to a message (from the mail app) and I want to attach a file that sits in say Docs2Go , or

2. I am in the Docs2Go, copy the file then go the mail app and paste it in my email.

Obviously 1 doesn't work, and if I try 2, the file doesn't make it to the mail app. When I select paste, it doesn't paste the file but whatever text I copied before. I always assumed it must be either a iOS limitation or on purpose. It works however for photos, so why shouldn't it work for files sitting in other apps.

It is hard to beleve that nobody needs such a basic functionality, My current approach is a 2-step approach: reply and say "attachment with next mail", then send the file from with Docs2Go. This is very annoying. Not really a way to do business.

Nov 12, 2011 7:31 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

Hi Lawrence.

I bought 6 iPads last week for my firm. We open a lot of,PDFs for what we do.

We could not open PDF nor forward them on etc.

When googling for answers for PDF to email this is the default post that appears in google.

We found how to do add PDF to email and it is through iBooks.

So two points for you to reflect on.

1. You are wrong in your reply as we can do what we want with iBooks, until you try it, don't comment,

2. If I choose to reply to a post that is 10 years old or 1 hour old, it is up to me, you have no right, or authority to comment on how I choose to reply.

3. I would of expected you would understand etiquette.

4. Have a good day.

Regards

Dan

Mar 7, 2012 11:51 PM in response to unixnerd09

With a little lateral thinking...

in Mail app do a reply to THEN copy the reply formatted text.

NEXT go to iBooks and select your PDF and export in email but before you send, you can do the necessary edits and paste the Reply-to formatted text.

Incidentally Lawrence I'm happy to have found this post now even months later as I usually use iPad and Goodreader, but I had need to use an iPhone to send an email with attachment that I have to transfer from my computer first - no web access and no tethering capability on the iPhone.

So I will use the iBook method rather than pay for iPhone version of Goodreader.

Personally I love GoodReader as you can attach multiple files and file formats. Well worth the time to explore how to use it's many useful features.

I'm pretty sure someone else will be glad find these posts in the months to come.

Dec 18, 2012 1:31 PM in response to dan181

Dan181,

I agree with Anakowi - I also found your reply quite a bit after you posted it, but it was the info that I needed - thanks!

Using iBooks was an interesting answer. Involved a bit of going back & forth with the body copy & email addresses, but I was able to reply to an email and attach a pdf, which is just what I needed to do.

A bit cumbersome perhaps, but it worked.

Mar 16, 2013 6:01 AM in response to Doug Lerner2

Doug Lerner2 wrote:

I have done that already, several times. It's basically a black hole, but I submit there.

Lots of what amounts to campaigns of feedback have been submitted and changes have been made. Just because Apple doesn't implement a change you want hardly means they don't read them. All it means is that, for reasons they have not shared with you (and they say they won't), they have not implemented it.

Personally, I suspect it's a security issue. The current sandboxing set up would make what you're suggesting difficult.

Mar 16, 2013 6:40 AM in response to Doug Lerner2

Doug Lerner2 wrote:

But you do admit it makes work flow cumbersome from an iOS device, right?

doug

It's not something that I have ever needed to do from an iOS device. I don't quite understand why sending a new email instead of a reply is a big deal, either. But, that's just me. Not for me to judge other people's workflows.

Best of luck.

Mar 16, 2013 6:51 AM in response to IdrisSeabright

Typically one replies to a mail, and all the cc'd people, with the same subject.

I guess if it is not obvious why the work-around via iBooks is incredibly cumbersome (like 10 steps instead of 1) to accomplish a reply to everybody, it's hard to explain to somebody who doesn't see it. And then there are other file types as well, beside PDF.

doug

Attach PDF (or any document) to email.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.