Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to store Sent msgs on my Mac

I've created Sent folders under "on my Mac" in Mail, but when I click on Use this Mailbox for, all the options are grayed out. My sent msgs are currently being stored on the server, but I will run out of room there over the long haul and want to keep msgs. on my Mac. I've unchecked the box for Store Sent Messages on Server.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.6)

Posted on Apr 24, 2011 12:10 PM

5 replies

Apr 24, 2011 12:16 PM in response to David Gardner7

Open Mail preferences, click on Accounts icon in the toolbar. Select your account and click on the Mailbox Behavior tab in the right display panel. Locate the pull-down menu for the Sent mail. Uncheck the option to store on the server.

Your existing Sent mailbox will now be located on your computer. You should now find there are two Sent mailboxes - one on the server and one local. Select all the sent mail from the server side and drag into the local side. When the transfer is completed all your sent mail will be local. You can then delete the Sent mailbox on the server if you want.

Apr 24, 2011 2:47 PM in response to Kappy

Thanks, Kappy, but as you'll note in my initial question I had already unchecked the Store on Server options. Still, I've followed your advice and dragged all my server-stored msgs to the sent folder on my Mac and deleted those sent mail folders on the server. Still when I select the Sent folder on my mac and click on Mailbox - Use This Mailbox For, the options are grayed out and so I cannot click on Sent. Will see what happens. I'm not optimistic.

How to store Sent msgs on my Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.