Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Control-F2 “Move Focus to Menu Bar” only works occasionally

I don't want to use my trackpad too much due to a strain injury, hence I use the Control F2 "Move Focus to Menu Bar" a lot.

However this feature only works occasionally, it can work for hours and then suddenly stop working, sometimes I can fix in the Keyboard Shortcuts pref pane by unchecking and checking the "Move Focus to Menu Bar" checkbox, at other times it takes a restart of the system.

User uploaded file

I've been a big Apple fan-boy since OS 9, and I always marvel at the cool features in OSX, this is the first time I have a Windows-esque experience with the OSX UI 😟

I've also posted the above on the Apple Stackexchange, but nobody knows how to fix this.

Mac OS X (10.6.7), Accessibility Universal Access

Posted on Apr 24, 2011 12:57 PM

10 replies

Jun 20, 2011 7:22 AM in response to timkl

I too prefer to use the keyboard over mouse/trackpad. Being a switcher from Windows the default keyboard shortcut to "Move focus to the menu bar" of ^F2 (ctrl+F2) was just too awkward a combination for me, and so I redefined the shortcut to be ⌘-space (cmd+space) which is much closer to what I'd been used to in Windows (Alt+space).

This has worked most of the time, from OSX 10.3 in 2004 right up to this weekend in 2011, using 10.6 whereas it now fails most of the time.

What has happened to cause this turnaround? In trying to discover what I'd done "wrong", I noticed that for the first time this weekend I'd run Voice Over (the OS X app). And probably by no coincidence, now, I can only successfully execute my keyboard shortcut to "Move focus to the menu bar" during the introductory announcement of Voice Over: "Welcome to Voice Over. Voice Over speaks descriptions of items on the screen and can be used to control the computer using only your keyboard. If you already know how to use Voice Over press the V key now. If you want to learn how to use Voice Over press the space key now". Hence, I have about twenty seconds of available time to use my ⌘-space (cmd+space) shortcut.

I can achieve a working shortcut by reverting away from my ⌘-space (cmd+space) shortcut, and restoring the default ^F2 (ctrl+F2), or some other different shortcut such as ⌘-, (cmd+comma).

So, I wonder, if my experience adds anything to the [already slightly stale] discussion?

Jun 20, 2011 7:54 AM in response to leroydouglas

So great was my desire to use command (⌘)-spacebar to "Move focus to the menu bar" (to assist my migration from Windows) that I ignored Spotlight by disabling its shortcut for what could have been years. That was until I discovered what a great time saver it is without obviously consuming what used to be precious resources.

Spotlight for me is now ⌘-. (cmd+period/cmd+fullstop). Spotlight shortcut modified using System Preferences > Keyboard > Keyboard Shortcuts.

Jun 22, 2011 7:07 PM in response to spotts2870

Spotlight for me is now ⌘-. (cmd+period/cmd+fullstop). Spotlight shortcut modified using System Preferences > Keyboard > Keyboard Shortcuts.

And now you've co-opted the decades old, system-wide shortcut to stop the current process.

Of course, I haven't used it in ages and don't even know if it still works.

I use ctrl+opt-M for menu, D for Dock and S for Status Menu area. However, I don't use them that often, so I need the mnemonic to remember them.

Control-F2 “Move Focus to Menu Bar” only works occasionally

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.