Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Start up problems with my Imac

Hi, I own a Imac 7,1 Intel Core 2 Duo 2,4 GHz. The machine is 3 y 4mnths old, so my apple care protection plan has expired. The last two weeks I see the rainbowball all the time. Today I couldn't even start the computer. I got the tone, and the white screen, but not the waiting sign, just the white screen. Rebooting with my finger on Alt, it doesn't even see my harddrive and also not the DVD drive which contains the snow Leopard boot disk. It seems the temperature might be to hot, but I don't know. I started Techtool Deluxe and it finds a Volume structure failure. But downloading the other software doesn't work. Now I am redoing Techtool deluxe but I also do the surface scan. Up till now no failures.

What could be wrong with my computer. It seems to work now, but starting a programm is hazardous, because of the rainbowball I am going to get.

Kind regard for your anwers.

Bernard Jas

Imac 2.4 GHz Intel core 2 Duo + 4Gb

Posted on Apr 24, 2011 3:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 24, 2011 3:06 PM

I suspect the HD is failing or has failed. You can run Apple Hardware Test and see if it detects any errors. Run the test in Extended Mode so it's though. If you haven't already before you do anything back it up!!!!!

Roger

5 replies

Apr 24, 2011 11:47 PM in response to rkaufmann87

Hi Roger, thanks for your answer. I performed last night the complete Tech-tool test, surface scan included. It turned out there are no failures. What do you mean by 'extended mode' is that the surface scan? My whole system is backed up. I also put a new system on my machine, and then is seemed to work well. But these things reoccured after installin the back up. So maybe I have to reinstall all the programs by hand. O maybe its still a sometimes occuring hardware problem.??

Bernard

Apr 25, 2011 9:38 PM in response to Berny23

Hi Roger, Last night I did the extensive test from AHT. It found no errors. This morning I wanted to startup my Imac... I hear the sound, I getg the white screen with the Apple, and then nothing. It just won't go on booting. I remove the Imac startup disk and reboot, still no booting of my device. I am worried something seriously is broken. After the third attempt, it finally boots. But with a lot of rainbowballs?!

Apr 25, 2011 10:09 PM in response to Berny23

I still suspect the HD. There are a couple of things you can do, but before you do anything make sure your system is backed up!!!!

First is you can get a more robust software tool, I'd recommend Disk Warrior. I think there is a demo you can tryout but I'm not positive. The next (and probably what I'd do) is make an appointment at your local Apple Store or AASP to have it professionally diagnosed.

Start up problems with my Imac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.