Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I configure Spotlight to search everywhere, including system?

For some (very annoying) reason, Spotlight refuses to search system folders such as 'Library' and 'System'. Is there a way to configure Spotlight to search everywhere, including those system folders?

Mac Pro 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon, Mac OS X (10.6.5), Apple LED Cinema Display

Posted on Apr 24, 2011 4:34 PM

16 replies

Apr 24, 2011 5:37 PM in response to Digital Max

Actually it is very simple to allow spotlight to search for system files. Start a Spotlight search in a Finder window. RIght under the text edit box you should see a Save button and a +. Click on the plus. On the other side of the window you'll see Search and below that you'll see 2 pop up menus. The one should be labeled Kind. Click on it and select Other. You'll see a sheet pop out and a long list which is alphabetically sorted. Search for System Files and click on the checkmark to select it. This will add System Files to the menu.

Now any time you want to perform a search that includes a system file, start your search, click on the + and select System Files and then in the popup menu next to it select are included.

Apr 25, 2011 11:33 AM in response to Digital Max

Do note that Spotlight still won't return everything. E.g., search for system.log, ensuring that System files are included, and compare that to what you see when you view the contents of /var/log/, using this Terminal command: ls -al /var/log/ | grep system Spotlight is basically useless when returning results for OS components.

Apr 25, 2011 1:08 PM in response to dwb

dwb wrote:

But the typical user isn't likely to be searching for item in hidden directories but is likely to be hunting for prefs and other items in the Library, right?

The OP stated

Spotlight refuses to search system folders such as 'Library' and 'System'. Is there a way to configure Spotlight to search everywhere, including those system folders?

Everywhere includes those hidden folders. That's where the interesting stuff is buried.😉

Mar 11, 2012 11:50 PM in response to baltwo

baltwo wrote:

Folders aren't a selectable item.

Sorry, don't follow you there.

you might be able to create a raw query that would handle folders. See

Once again, thank you. I do happen to have some small degree of familiarity with that reference. (Incidentally, my favourite quote is, "kMDItemPath: Complete path to the file. This value of this attribute can be retrieved, but can't be used in a query or to sort search results".) But I don't see any "System Folders" therein.

Can I configure Spotlight to search everywhere, including system?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.