Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphone usb cable burnt

Has anyone else had a 3GS USB cable burn up at the phone end? It was connected to a Mac at the time. The phone can still charge with another cable but now I'm concerned about charging the phone and a repeat incident. Are there any recalls for this problem?

User uploaded file

iPhone 3GS, iOS 4.3.2, Neither phone nor cable abused.

Posted on Apr 24, 2011 6:43 PM

4 replies

May 26, 2012 4:56 PM in response to klayher

I have an Iphone 4S a few weeks old. Found the charging cable melting last night when getting ready to charge phone. It ruined the charger at the wall 110v to usb. The verizon store replaced both today but said they never heard of it happening before. I see online a number of instances. Wonder when Apple is going to fix the defective cables.

May 26, 2012 9:06 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

I took it back to the local store where I bought the phone and they replaced the cable. When I checked, the charger was bad. Took it back and they replaced it also. I am concerned of the safety aspect. If it had been on a number of surfaces, it could have burned my house down. Luckily it was on a very hard surface and left a mark.

Anything bordering a safety issue in my work experience, manufacturer should be recalling and replacing. It should also have a warning online.

iphone usb cable burnt

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.