Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Disk Utility as Maintenance?

I know I've asked a lot of questions lately but, well, that's why we are here right .

I've had my iMac since October and have of course added different types of software as well as installing all system updates without any problems. But after reading different posts and articles I've learned that you should repair permissions after installing software that requires a installer, and at anytime BEFORE a major system update.

Now, I'm not sure if any of the later are considered "major", but I certainly meet the criteria for the former.

So should I go ahead and run disk utility for the heck of it, and if so can it be run from utilities, or do I have to use my SL disk to perform the task.

Thanks

P.S. I searched the topic but nothing really hit the mark.

2010 iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.4)

Posted on Apr 24, 2011 8:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 24, 2011 8:58 PM

The repair permissions option should only be used when you're having trouble and not as any sort of routine maintenance, including part of the installation of software. Repairing disk, however, can be useful before installing a new OS.

(58007)

3 replies

Disk Utility as Maintenance?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.