Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Stolen Macbook Pro

So, I'm new to this forum and need some advice.

I purchased a macbook pro yesterday from a person on craigslist. Before purchasing I asked him for the serial number in order to check it with Apple. He gave it to me, and I called Apple. I wanted to make sure it was not stolen, or had any other issues.

The representative I spoke with at Applecare informed me that the computer was purchased about 1 month prior, and had not been flagged for any reason. She also informed me that the computer had not been registered, and had no notes whatsoever. She told me that I should have no problems. Feeling confident that I was making a safe purchase, I met the seller a local coffee shop and bought the computer. I then took the computer home and registered it via the Apple website.

Today I was having some issues with screen flicker. I decided to make an appointment at the Apple store with the Genius bar. To make a long story short, after running the serial number, the Genius informed me that the computer had been stolen from another Apple store and called his manager! The manager said he would need to keep the computer, and said I would be contacted from the theft/loss division. I was in total shock! I explained what happened, and he was sensitive to the situation, but said his hands were tied.

I then called Applecare back and explained what happened. The rep ran the serial number again, and said it had no notes/flags. He also informed me that he had no way of telling if computer was stolen. Feeling sick to my stomach, I asked him how this could be. He had no good explanation. He gave me a case number and noted everything I had told him. He told me to call back Monday morning.

Does anybody know why Applecare telephone support had no record of the theft, and why they informed me the computer was safe. Also, why would the store have record of it being stolen, but not Applecare? I feel totally mislead by Apple. I'm out about 1700, and am having a hard time not feeling really angry. Does anybody have any advice on what to do?

So, I'm hoping something positive will come of this situation. I'm waiting anxiously to speak with customer relations tomorrow morning. Apple seriously needs to get there stuff together. I know other companies...i.e. verizon and sprint have databases that accurately track stolen phones. I recently called verizon and checked the serial number of a iphone 4 that I was potentially going to buy off an individual on craigslist. They informed me very clearly to not purchase the phone. I didn't.

Point # 1. I don't understand what is so hard in having some sort of database to keep track of macs. We all know that Apple has some very intelligent people working for their company....after all, they call themselves geniuses! There must be some way to protect the customer, and keep dibs on their machines.

Point # 2. Why didn't the customer service reps, just say that the purchase would be at my own risk. I have spoken to multiple reps, and have never been told the information that I have since discovered. I would have never risked my hard earned cash, if I had any inkling about the computer being stolen. I have bought 2 other macs on craigslist, and went through the same procedure. For all I know, my other two computers are also stolen!!! I am trying not to freak out!

While I agree that craigslist has some losers, it is in many ways a great way to buy and sell things. I have been using craigslist for many years, and have had many good experiences. As we all know macs are not cheap, and saving a few hundred dollars here or there really helps.

I plan on filing a police report tomorrow, but don't see anything coming of it.

What a great Easter.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I have also posted this same issue on a couple other forum websites.

MacBook Pro

Posted on Apr 24, 2011 9:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 24, 2011 9:12 PM

Apple has no record because they do not maintain records of stolen computers. That information is found via your local police department's connection to the national hot list. Obviously, the local Apple store did not report the theft to anyone so if you must blame anyone blame the local store's management.

I'm not sure why you are so surprised. This is the risk you take buying in such a way. Furthermore, this is a user to user help forum. There's nothing we can do to help you and complaining here about the event won't help you since Apple does not monitor these forums.

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 24, 2011 9:12 PM in response to josephfrombrooklyn

Apple has no record because they do not maintain records of stolen computers. That information is found via your local police department's connection to the national hot list. Obviously, the local Apple store did not report the theft to anyone so if you must blame anyone blame the local store's management.

I'm not sure why you are so surprised. This is the risk you take buying in such a way. Furthermore, this is a user to user help forum. There's nothing we can do to help you and complaining here about the event won't help you since Apple does not monitor these forums.

Apr 24, 2011 9:24 PM in response to josephfrombrooklyn

I suspect you bought the computer because it was substantially less than a new or refurbished model. If something seems to good to be true it probably is, my guess is this is a rule you may have violated. Another action you probably didn't do is read the term of use of these forums, where it says:

Stay on topic. Apple Support Communities is here to help people use Apple products and technologies more effectively. Unless otherwise noted, do not add Submissions about nontechnical topics, including:

1. Speculations or rumors about unannounced products.
  2. Discussions of Apple policies or procedures or speculation on Apple decisions.

Good luck on your situation.

Apr 24, 2011 9:34 PM in response to josephfrombrooklyn

You got any information on the guy you bought it from? Like his car license or driver's license number, phone number, address, etc? Did you take a picture of him? I would have asked for all this, and if he would have refused any of it, I would have walked.

I got burned selling a laptop on eBay using COD. UPS delivered the unit and I got a bank cashiers check from UPS. I went and deposited the check and a few day later I get a call from the bank that the check was a phony. I was shocked! Even the guy at the bank said they done a real good job counterfeiting it. I was out $1800.00.

I would give up using Craigslist. You tried saving a few hundred bucks and lost $1700.00. I doubt you are going to see a positive outcome of this.

Also, Apple is not in the business of tracking products they sell, other than for warranty purposes. The AppleCare rep you talked to had no clue it was stolen because it was never even registered. How can you blame them? It's buyer beware when you are dealing with eBay and Craigslist.

Apr 24, 2011 9:42 PM in response to josephfrombrooklyn

I almost did this on craigslist myself. I got the serial number but when I asked for the receipt he gave me the run around. I called Apple support and they did say the computer was clean. I decided to stay away and ended up buying a brand new 15" MacBook pro and just used my student discount. I felt safer and even though I spent more $ I am happy. Good luck and hope it works out. Let's hope someone else can learn from this. Best wishes.

May 1, 2011 11:06 PM in response to rauyeu2

rauyeu2 wrote:

can you give me more details of how the craigslist ad looked like? im looking to buy a mbp from chicago's craigslist at the moment and i just want an idea of what to look out for so i can make sure i dont buy from the same seller as you did

It doesn't matter. These con artists just list with another email address. You don't even need an account with CL to post. User uploaded file

Oct 16, 2012 4:43 PM in response to josephfrombrooklyn

This is an old thread but I thought I would comment on it since I have first hand experience with this kind of tragedy.

I too had been burned by purchasing a Macbook Pro 15" on Craigslist. The price looked fair and I felt I could avoid taxes save a few bucks by buying second hand rather than through apple. I had purchased items such as computers before on Craigslist and was certain that I would be able to do so again. I contacted the seller and scheduled a meeting.

When I met with the seller, (a Chinese girl with poor English) I checked the specs of the computer by starting it and going to the system profiler in "about this mac". Everything looked exactly as specified. This was my first mistake. I should have looked at the serial number on the bottom of the computer and ran it through apple's serial checker or comparable website. I then paid for the computer and returned home.

When I got home I wanted to re-install the operating system as I always do so that I can have a fresh start. To my horror the specs for the brand new computer that I had just purchased changed to that of last years model. I didn't even realize it was possible but apparently the scammers had written a script which spoofed the system specs.

I immediately went to the police station and told them of my plight. They didn't want anything to do with it. I even told them that the scammers are probably still doing it because there are a lot of craigslist ads just like the one I had purchased still on CL. Still they did not want anything to do with it.

After being talked down from vigilantism from my loved ones I decided to chalk it up as a loss. I don't purchase computers or other big ticket items that are not directly verifiable any more on craigslist. There just seems to be too many scammers out there. I feel your pain when you post this and I hope that you get something from this experience.

Jun 6, 2013 9:31 PM in response to makow

Hello Makow,

I am sorry that you had to go through this. It is a very painful experience. My advice is to go to the police department in the area where the transaction took place and file a police report. Don't let them take the computer as evidence as it's not necessary. They may try to push you off because it is just more paper work for them. Really make them file the report because, hopefully if enough people file reports and complain they will be forced to do something about it. It saddens me to hear that this is still happening.

In the meantime, try to enjoy your new computer as best you can as there is really not much you can do other than file the police report.

Good Luck.

Oct 2, 2016 1:27 PM in response to Chuckie2.0

Chuckie2.0 wrote:

What a terrible response. The fact that you troll forums just to naysay is a scathing indictment on your character.

You joined this user-to-user community today to insult the character of someone who posted over 5 years ago? By the way, the poster who's character you insulted provided a good response 5 years ago. In fact his response would still apply today.

Stolen Macbook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.