Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I want to disable charging my iPad when it is connected to my MacBook Air.

Hello,

any idea how I can turn off the charging feature for my iPad?

I don't want the iPad to eat my MacBook Air battery.

Thank you.

iPad, Mac OS X (10.6.6)

Posted on Apr 25, 2011 1:03 PM

6 replies

Apr 25, 2011 1:13 PM in response to taia

You can't disable charging on the iPad. If it is connected, it will draw a charge. It doesn't charge quickly from your MacBook Air if I have my facts straight, but it will still draw a charge.

If you are not syncing to the MBA, disconnect the iPad and charge with the wall charger that's provided for that purpose.

Apr 25, 2011 6:12 PM in response to taia

One possibility would be to use a USB hub. Many hubs will only supply the USB standard of 500mA, which is not enough to charge the iPad while it's on. I have my iPad connected to the built-in hubs on my Dell monitor and the iPad will show "not charging" with the display on. The iPad is trickle charging after the iPad goes to sleep (i.e.: iPad display is off) but once the iPad goes to sleep, it's charging at a much slower rate so would have much less impact on the Macbook Air's battery. So perhaps small non-powered hub would be close to what you want. I normally carry with me a really small 4 port hub with my Macbook Pro that doesn't take up much space and weight in my bag. (Similar to this one.)

Nov 22, 2013 12:55 PM in response to Asatoran

I think I'll have to go with Asatoran's suggestion.Is the hub solution still valid for the latest iPads?

It's a pity that you just can't disable charging. I've got an Macbook Air 11" and an iPad 4. It still charges when the Macbook is close to empty and the iPad is 99%.

Just out of curiosity... Doesn't the USB standard allow the port to stop charging?

As Taia I'm using the iPad for development.

I want to disable charging my iPad when it is connected to my MacBook Air.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.