Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is considered Mid 2010

I see there is a new firmware update for the "Mid" 2010 iMac models.

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1378

What does Apple consider to be Mid ????

I looked the iMac up in MacTracker and they say the Mid 2010 iMac was introduced in July of 2010...

I have a 27" iMac 11,3 that I bought in August 2010 directly from Apple.

I downloaded the update but was presented with a window saying the update will not work on this model.

Apparently July is the only Mid 2010 year model as my August version will not update.

I am running 10.6.7 which is a requirement for the update.

Anyone have any other ideas?

It would have been nice to see some other description on Apple's website as to what actual model this update was for rather than just "Mid" as I would have though August would also be in the "Mid" range.

I also tried this update on my wife's iMac "Early" 2010 model and it didn't work either. That was expected as this was an "Early" model.

iMac 27 (11,3), iMac 21.5 (10,1), MacMini (3,1), iPod Touch, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on Apr 25, 2011 3:53 PM

40 replies

Apr 25, 2011 4:38 PM in response to Joseph Kriz

Run Software Update, if your machine needs the update Software Update will locate it and prompt you to install it. If Software Update doesn't locate the update the machine does not require it. DO NOT force a download, Software Update works. However to answer your question the Mid 2010 machines were released July 27, 2010.

I suspect the machine you purchased was an earlier model, this does occur when new models are introduced. The old stock needs to be sold first. My recommendation is if your machine is operating OK then leave it at that.

Roger

Apr 25, 2011 4:44 PM in response to TaylorN90

Already tried Software Update... Says I am up to date.

Downloaded the firmware directly from Apple. Says I don't need it...

I don't think this update is for anyone at this time as I would go out on a limb and say August is Mid 2010...

According to MacTracker, the 27" 11,3 came out in July of 2010...

I should have a Mid 2010 model I purchased in August of 2010 directly from Apple.

Has anyone been able to install this firmware?

What version of iMac do you have? 21.5" 11,2 or 27" 11,3

This firmware update just doesn't make sense to me at this time.

Apr 25, 2011 4:46 PM in response to Joseph Kriz

It's common that machines purchased shortly after a new release comes out are the prior generation. Apple (like all manufactures) has to sell through their inventory. As I mentioned the mid 2010 machines were released July 27th, it's very possible your machine is a late 2009 model. You can look up your machines specifications at:

http://support.apple.com/specs/#imac

From that site you can compare specification of a mid 2010 to a late 2009 model.

Apr 25, 2011 4:59 PM in response to rkaufmann87

I have a MID 2010 27" model as per the Apple documents and Apple identifier.... 11,3 .....

I believe I have said this in all my post......

Apple identifier 11,3

That is a Mid 2010 model

I still am not able to get the update....

Can anyone else with a Mid 2010 model????

Here are the Mid 2010 models as I am aware.

21.5" 11,2

27" 11,3

Again, mine is 27" 11,3 .....

If it was an earlier model it would be 10,1 or 11,1 depending on processor and introduced in October of 2009..

I think Apple is wasting our time trying to figure this out when they could tell us a little more in their description rather than just stating "Mid" 2010 as my mid 2010 does not qualify for the firmware update.

Apr 25, 2011 4:57 PM in response to Joseph Kriz

Joseph Kriz wrote:

I have a MID 2010 27" model as per the Apple documents and Apple identifier.... 11,3 .....

I believe I have said this in all my post......

Apple identifier 11,3

That is a Mid 2010 model

Interesting, well back to my original statement if Software Update says the machine doesn't need the update it doesn't need the update. If you would like to pursue it further then I'd suggest contacting AppleCare. I'm not sure where you are located but if you don't have their contact information you can find it at AppleCare Contact Info.

Apr 25, 2011 5:04 PM in response to rkaufmann87

Yes, it is interesting.

That is why I posted this to begin with.

So far, no one else has come up and say this firmware actually works with a "Mid" 2010 model.

Mine doesn't...

Why not? It is a Mid 2010 model.

Just for clarification for some, Apple does not sell older models in their Online Store once new models come out and are advertised in the Online Store.

They sell current models with the description as such...

Yes, if you go into the refurbished or Deal section, you can buy older models at a slight discount....

Mine was a new 11,3 model at that time in August 2010 which makes it a "Mid" 2010 model...

Anyone else able to install this on a Mid 2010 model.

Here are the models again.

21.5" 11,2

27" 11,3

Apr 25, 2011 5:05 PM in response to Joseph Kriz

You do not need the update. If you needed the update it would have installed when you chose "Software Update" from the Apple menu.

Secondly, assuming you have a i5 or i7 CPU (among other things) than you are the proud owner of a Mid 2010 iMac. There is no "mid July" or "mid august" iMac.

At this point in time you have the current model iMac, until next week that is. :)

What is considered Mid 2010

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.