Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

skull apple icon

When my son turns on his ipod touch the apple turns into a skull and does absolutely nothing. Is this a virus? Can it be saved?

iPod touch

Posted on Apr 25, 2011 7:59 PM

10 replies

Oct 10, 2011 9:33 PM in response to HoustonBlanco

definately. It is "Green Poison" jailbreak. The skull apple is their logo.

The device has lost its warranty by doing that.

And because it is now installed a OS that nobody knows what has been changed with the crack (jailbreaks are cracked open filesystems, changed internals, changed apps,settings,configuration data ) , nobody can help here. Although unlikely the device can have malware in it, surely. Apple closes its OS for that particular reason : to limit the access to the internals by the apps installed on it. A jailbroken device with apps installed gives access to everything. Bad guys can mis-use this , naturally.

Hopefully he finds help with his cracked device somewhere on the internet. Not at Apple . Every store would send him away or charge money to restore the device back to official OS ( if that is even possible ).

Oct 22, 2012 11:48 AM in response to terryfromjacksonville

Try UDF mode to make iTunes recognize it.

Plug your iPod to the Computer. And when the OS of your iPod clash (When you see that Skull Apple Icon) Hold down the Home & Power buttons until the screen off then release only the Power button & keep holding the Home button ultil your Computer recognize it. Then open iTunes. Now, the iTunes should recognize your iPod.

Mar 4, 2016 10:28 AM in response to paox2za

I know this is an old post but your comment helped me fix an ipod 2g my family member messed with I could not for the life of me get it into DFU but your instructions to start the DFU enter process from the point where the apple logo went to the greenpoison skull was just the tip/info I needed... I was able to enter DFU by following that suggestion and restore the Ipod. TYVM I hope my replying to your comment will help someone else fix their device

skull apple icon

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.