Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Speed, Speed, Speed

I've gotta go fast. It seems that I'm bogging down too much. I looked through a wedding I did and decided I'd been off on focus alot. Scary! Then I looked through the images a little slower and it was sharp. Wow! Just had to wait for "processing". Tell me how to make things go fast. Smaller or no previews. What else? Gotta be fast but if I later have to wait for previews to make then that is not good. Also, I'm using one setup for active work and moving to external for archive. Maybe the two workflows could be different to get good speed but not have a major space in previews. Tell me what you have learned and the tricks that may come in handy. Thanks, Thanks, Thanks.

Gary

storybookweddingsbygary.com

Mac Book Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on Apr 25, 2011 9:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 25, 2011 11:20 PM

How much RAM are you using? I have 4 GB in my IMAC I7 and I have to wait about 1/4 - 1/2 second for the images to come in focus sometimes.

I find that when I have Itunes running, the timing is much slower, but when I have Itunes closed, Aperture in general operates substantially faster,.

5 replies

Apr 26, 2011 4:03 AM in response to culleyphoto

Shut down all other apps. Reboot before starting Aperture. Never force-quit Aperture. In my experience, Aperture will either actually crash, or finish its tasks. Every force-quit I've done has seemed to make performance worse.

Put your Library on your fastest drive. Upgrade your internal drive as needed. Fastest: use an SSD. Leave c. 25% free space on all drives. (Search the forum for SSD -- you'll find some good buying advice.)

Periodically copy your Library to an external drive, delete the original, and copy it back. This forces a rewrite of all files (it's easily possible for a high-volume photographer to end up with more than a million files in the Aperture Library package), which in turn defragments all the files in the Aperture Library.

Periodically run "Repair Library". This is best done overnight.

Turn off Faces (as mentioned). Turn off "Share Previews w. iLife and iWork". Turning off Preview creation may speed things up initially, but I wouldn't recommend it for a wedding photographer. Set Previews to the size of your display. Depending on your GPU, you might consider not using a second monitor.

You don't need two workflows. IME, there is no performance gain from limiting Library size (as long as your have the drive space). Adjusting a hundred images will take the same amount of time whether they are in a Library of a thousand images or a Library of a quarter-million images.

SierraDragon's posts on performance are all worth reading. Here's one.

Aperture does a lot of processing. A lot of this is done in the background. The best thing you can do (besides give it more and better hardware) is to to give it time to completely process all imports. If your wedding is 3,000 12MB RAW exposures, it's going to take an hour or more to process (perhaps much more). If there is any way to include letting Aperture run while not using your computer, I'd put that into your workflow.

Prior to import, select the top-most item on the Library tab of the Inspector (this should be the name of your Library, and will blank the Viewer). Blanking the Viewer means Aperture doesn't have to update the display while importing.

There is no way I've found to know when Aperture is truly finished processing. (I monitor CPU, GPU, memory, and drive activity with iStat Monitor.) Launch Aperture's Activity Window prior to import, and don't use Aperture at all until every listed task is done.

Message was edited by: Kirby Krieger

Apr 26, 2011 9:09 AM in response to culleyphoto

When you import you do have to wait for the images to finish processing, but if that part is done and you're just browsing through your photos to choose what to edit, etc. you could turn on Quick Preview mode. To start doing adjustments you will have to turn it off, but I find it significantly speeds things up while you are browsing through a Project, etc.

Hope that helps

Speed, Speed, Speed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.