Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macro Support in Pages?

Started with Macs in early 90's, initially used WordPerfect for Mac which was wonderful. But Corel bought WordPerfect in the late 90's and soon thereafter gave the Mac version the death sentence.

We converted to MS Word for our word processing, currently using MS Office 2004. Did not upgrade to Office 2008 because this version gave Visual Basic macros the death sentence. Office 2011 reincarnated macros in Word.

With the upcoming release of Mac OS X 11 "Lion", it is rumored that old applications that run via Rosetta in "Snow Leopard", like Office 2004, will not run under "Lion", another death sentence.

We have no desire to spend a fortune upgrading our computers to Office 2011 if there are other adequate alternatives. "Adequate", for us however, means that macro support is something that we cannot live without.

I have iWork 09 but I cannot find where Pages has macro support similar to what is available in MS Word.

Looking for confirmation of Pages lack of macro support--I hope I'm wrong, but if not, any recommendations for word processing software, other than MS Word, which supports the use of macros.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on Apr 25, 2011 10:29 PM

8 replies

Apr 26, 2011 12:59 AM in response to persecutor

persecutor wrote:

With the upcoming release of Mac OS X 11 "Lion", it is rumored that old applications that run via Rosetta in "Snow Leopard", like Office 2004, will not run under "Lion", another death sentence.

It's not a rumor, it's an official feature.

No need to spend a fortune.

Look at free clones of Office like :

libreOffice (my best choice)

neoOffice

openOffice

Yvan KOENIG (VALLAURIS, France) mardi 26 avril 2011 09:59:45

Apr 26, 2011 3:01 PM in response to persecutor

Depending on what you need to do with "macros" you might well be able to use Automator. BTW AbiWord will read and save your WordPerfect files so they are useable. And it's free. The versions of StarOffice aka OpenOffice, NeoOffice, etc and just as piggy as MS Word. They are Java apps. Talk to the folks in your local Apple Store. Sounds like you might want to subscribe to JointVenture. Just a thought.

Apr 26, 2011 3:12 PM in response to michaelfromrochester

michaelfromrochester wrote:

Depending on what you need to do with "macros" you might well be able to use Automator. BTW AbiWord will read and save your WordPerfect files so they are useable. And it's free. The versions of StarOffice aka OpenOffice, NeoOffice, etc and just as piggy as MS Word. They are Java apps.

Ridiculous statement.

Neither openOffice or LibreOffice are java apps !

Yvan KOENIG (VALLAURIS, France) mercredi 27 avril 2011 00:11:53

Apr 28, 2011 6:17 AM in response to michaelfromrochester

michaelfromrochester wrote:

sorry.. "dependent on Java"

At last you understand that there is a difference between a "java application" and an application using java for some features.

So, I was right when I wrote that your statement was wrong !

No need to be French to know that.

Yvan KOENIG (VALLAURIS, France) jeudi 28 avril 2011 15:17:01

Macro Support in Pages?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.