Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hi All, Mac Pro 2008 will not start after shutdown straight from sleep! Help!

WILL A NEW LOGIC BOARD SOLVE MY PROBLEM?

My early 2008 Mac Pro (2.8, 8-core 22 gigs ram) was shutting down from sleep both when I activated it, and then later by itself. Recently it refused to turn on, shuts down after about 3 seconds, light goes off, fans stop.

Took it in and they replaced the GPU card and PSU. Things were great ... for two weeks. Then suddenly the same symptoms, but at an accelerated rate of occurance. After a day, it did not power on at all save the three seconds of startup fans.

Took it in again. They AGAIN replace the known-faulty ATI Radeon HD2600 XT cards (two), the ones Apple have agreed to replace up to July 2011.

Well got the machine back and she worked like a charm... for two weeks. Same thing now. By the way all checks of hardware, ram, disk drives - extensively have come up OK.

Does anyone have any advice, or have the same problem?

If it is the logic board, is it worth it to replace or when things go south like this is it better to cut your losses as more and more will likely go wrong?

Would appreciate any feedback.

Many thanks

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.7), 2.8 Ghz 8-core, 22 Gigs Ram

Posted on Apr 26, 2011 5:08 AM

1 reply

Hi All, Mac Pro 2008 will not start after shutdown straight from sleep! Help!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.