Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lost menu bar items, SystemUIServer missing!

Hi there, it's my first time posting on here so apologies if I'm doing it wrong!

I have a problem with lost menu bar items - my clock, airport, bluetooth, volume, etc icons have all dissappeared. After a bit of research it sounds like it's a problem with SystemUIServer, and I've followed the advice given by others about deleting it's preference file and restarting, but that's not working for me. The file isn't recreated when I log back in.

I've looked in console and I'm getting this from it every 10 seconds:

26/04/2011 13:21:27 com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[151] (com.apple.SystemUIServer.agent[15107]) posix_spawn("/System/Library/CoreServices/SystemUIServer.app/Contents/MacOS/Sys temUIServer", ...): No such file or directory

26/04/2011 13:21:27 com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[151] (com.apple.SystemUIServer.agent[15107]) Exited with exit code: 1

26/04/2011 13:21:27 com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[151] (com.apple.SystemUIServer.agent) Throttling respawn: Will start in 10 seconds

I recently had a problem with my SSD and couldn't boot from it, but I managed to fix it with DiskWarrior and it's now working again. However it told me that some files were rescued, and they've been put in a folder on my hard drive. I looked through that folder and a few levels down there is an executable called SystemUIServer. I'm wondering if the SystemUIServer got lost from the system when the drive failed, and hence it isn't where it should be and so cannot start, hence the console messages, hence the missing menulets.

Do you think I'm right about this? If I am, how can I restore the SystemUIServer file? Can I simply copy it back, and if so where does it go? If not, do I have to reinstall Snow Leopard? Is there some way I can do a system repair without having to clean install?

Thanks for any help you can give!!

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.7), 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 6GB, 128GB SSD

Posted on Apr 26, 2011 5:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 26, 2011 8:28 AM

timjrye wrote:

deleting it's preference file and restarting, but that's not working for me. The file isn't recreated when I log back in.

I'm wondering if the SystemUIServer got lost from the system when the drive failed, and hence it isn't where it should be and so cannot start, hence the console messages, hence the missing menulets.

Do you think I'm right about this?

It sounds like you are on the right track. If you did indeed

try deleting com.apple.systemuiserver.plist found here:

usenamer/Library/Preferences/com.apple.systemuiserver.plist followed by the

killall SystemUIServer

You could reinstall the OS on top- your user file/folders will remain untouched, followed by combo update if needed. This will replace all system files.

Can I simply copy it back, and if so where does it go?

Use Finder's>Go> Go to Folder ( ⇧⌘G ) If you want to follow your instincts, the LaunchServices.framework is found here:

/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks

Menu Extras found here:

/System/Library/CoreServices/
8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 26, 2011 8:28 AM in response to timjrye

timjrye wrote:

deleting it's preference file and restarting, but that's not working for me. The file isn't recreated when I log back in.

I'm wondering if the SystemUIServer got lost from the system when the drive failed, and hence it isn't where it should be and so cannot start, hence the console messages, hence the missing menulets.

Do you think I'm right about this?

It sounds like you are on the right track. If you did indeed

try deleting com.apple.systemuiserver.plist found here:

usenamer/Library/Preferences/com.apple.systemuiserver.plist followed by the

killall SystemUIServer

You could reinstall the OS on top- your user file/folders will remain untouched, followed by combo update if needed. This will replace all system files.

Can I simply copy it back, and if so where does it go?

Use Finder's>Go> Go to Folder ( ⇧⌘G ) If you want to follow your instincts, the LaunchServices.framework is found here:

Menu Extras found here:

/System/Library/CoreServices/

Apr 26, 2011 8:27 AM in response to leroydouglas

Thanks for your reply.

Use Finder's>Go> Go to Folder ( ⇧⌘G ) If you want to follow your instincts the LaunchServices.framework is found here:

What do I do within this folder? I've navigated to it ok, and within it I have the LaunchServices.framework, and within that I have CodeResources, LaunchServices, Resources, Support and Versions. Where do I copy the SystemUIServer to?

I think I might be in over my head here...

Apr 26, 2011 8:36 AM in response to leroydouglas

leroydouglas wrote:

goes in

Versions/

full path:

/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Versions/

Directly into that folder? In that folder I have another folder named "A" and a linked folder called "Current"... seems odd to put it in there? But hey what do I know lol.

Apr 26, 2011 8:59 AM in response to leroydouglas

I'm not sure I understand still. The file I think I'm missing and that is in the Rescued Files folder which DiskWarrior created is an Executable called SystemUIServer. There's no file by that name in the folder you specified, or in your screenshot. I've tried placing the SystemUIServer in the folder you specified ("A"), and rebooted, with no luck. Am I doing something wrong?

I think I'm just gonna go for reinstalling the OS - I've noticed a few other things not working as well so it's probably the easiest way to fix everything in one go.

Apr 26, 2011 9:36 AM in response to timjrye

timjrye wrote:

I'm not sure I understand still. The file I think I'm missing and that is in the Rescued Files folder which DiskWarrior created is an Executable called SystemUIServer. There's no file by that name in the folder you specified, or in your screenshot. I've tried placing the SystemUIServer in the folder you specified ("A"), and rebooted, with no luck. Am I doing something wrong?

I see what you are saying, this is a different file SystemUIServer it is located here. Only file in there size is 1.1 MB

/System/Library/CoreServices/SystemUIServer.app/Contents/MacOS/

I think I'm just gonna go for reinstalling the OS - I've noticed a few other things not working as well so it's probably the easiest way to fix everything in one go.

No harm in reinstalling.

Apr 26, 2011 10:17 AM in response to leroydouglas

leroydouglas wrote:

this is a different file SystemUIServer it is located here. Only file in there size is 1.1 MB

/System/Library/CoreServices/SystemUIServer.app/Contents/MacOS/

Ahh there we go! That would have done it - but don't worry, I've reinstalled and updated and everything is back to working like a charm.

Thanks for your help!

Lost menu bar items, SystemUIServer missing!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.