7 Replies Latest reply: Apr 26, 2011 6:32 AM by Frank Caggiano
Rick Mansfield Level 1 Level 1 (145 points)

I'm one of the recent iPhoto to Aperture converts, so I ask for help and patience with my question. For the record, I did first look through older discussion to see if this question had been answered.

I have a group of pictures that I imported from a span of a few days that I'd like to split up. When I select the picture that I want to use to separate the group, and go to the Stacks menu, "Split Stack" is grayed out. I'm certain there something very basic here that I'm not doing correctly, but I'd appreciate any help available. Thanks.

15" MacBook Pro/iPad 2/iPhone 4, Mac OS X (10.6.7)
  • Rick Mansfield Level 1 Level 1 (145 points)

Or I'm probably going about this the wrong way. How do I make a group of pictures into a separate project?

• Frank Caggiano Level 7 Level 7 (25,695 points)

I have a group of pictures that I imported from a span of a few days that I'd like to split up. When I select the picture that I want to use to separate the group, and go to the Stacks menu, "Split Stack" is grayed out. I'm certain there something very basic here that I'm not doing correctly, but I'd appreciate any help available. Thanks.

You don't ever mention how these images got stacked in the first place.  If they aren't stacked you can't of course unstack them.

If they are stacked there should be a number in the upper left corner of the first image in the stack. Is that there? If you select the image are any of the stack commands not grayed out?

Ok different. Select the images you want in the new project then go to File->New->Project.

The popup will allow you to name the project and there is a checkbox that if selected will move the selected images into the new project.

Frank, thanks for the help. I'm clearly asking the wrong question. I want the pictures to be in a project all to themselves. In iPhoto, I would select the first photo of the group and split the EVENT. How does this translate in iPhoto?

Thanks again for your patience.

See my last reply.

Too easy

Thanks for your help. I converted over 10,000 pictures from iPhoto to Aperture so I'm committed now! It's just a matter of learning new terminology and ways of doing things.

Good luck, take your time Aperture can be a lot to digest al at once.

Thanks for the check