Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

unexplaind intenet usage by my apple tv

i have an apple tv and recently found out that its been draining my intenet for the last couple of weeks. I know this for sure because Im able to see my internet connection logs and able to track my usage every minute. as soon as my apple tv is connected, it starts to download with very high speed although I have not purchased anything recently or have anything in my download list. i have tried reseting my apple tv to factory setting but it has not helped. as soon as i conect my apple tv to internet the downloading starts.Please HELP and I know other people had this same problems....

Posted on Apr 26, 2011 6:04 AM

57 replies

May 17, 2011 11:49 PM in response to edwardfromjber

How many HD movies did you rent, were you using lots of Netflix etc?

Did you restart/rewatch movie rentals or watch them through - rewatching/restarting can require the whole HD even if the rental/view period has not expired - basically other simple actions like playing local itunes content or watching movie trailers can flush the reneted stream from memory - one user reported a 30GB usage one weekend just to watch a single movie through!

AC

Jun 15, 2011 1:21 AM in response to vazandrew

I have exactly the same problem. Just bought and installed Apple TV 2. Started using it ONLY TO STREAM MUSIC FROM MY LAPTOP TO MY HOME THEATER SYSTEM and my internet usage has suddenly skyrocketed (here there is a ridiculous cap of 4 Gb per month!!!).

Never streamed internet content (Youtube or other).

I have secured the network with password.

So APPLE TV IS OBVIOUSLY USING BANDWIDTH.

What am I doing wrong? Anybody that can help fix the problem, or is Apple TV totally useless???

Jan 3, 2012 6:57 PM in response to marco from the world

Hi. I was wondering if there was a fix to this problem? I am not very computer savvy but after many wasted hours on the phone to our ISP we now have a brand new modem. We have a small download limit (4gb) and everytime I use AirPlay it chews up our Internet download. The first trial on the new modem the other day used over 800mb with AirPlay running most of the afternoon and no other devices switched on that are capable of connecting to the Internet. We haven't used apple tv for any other reason than to play stored music off my iPhone. Can some one help please. I am desperate to get this sorted. Thanks in advance.

Jan 4, 2012 7:08 AM in response to vazandrew

It still eats the bandwidth, I don't know how or why and AirPlay may be wha does it, but I would play Netflix off of my computer and stay under my cap, then we got apple tv and usage went through the roof, we stopped useing Netflix and still had a problem staying under the cap, then we disconnected apple tv and everything was hunky dory again .. We now switched to having no cap, but don't have near the bandwidth that we had .. So yes the apple tv does use more bandwidth for some reason, and no I can't fix it, so we adapted ..

Jan 4, 2012 10:03 AM in response to edwardfromjber

You would have to look at your network. I keep a very close eye on bandwidth as well because of a cap and the only time it goes up is when I actually access the internet. Days when I mainly stream using home-sharing or off iPhone data is almost non-exisistent. Local streaming will use bandwidth over the LAN, and that doesn't affect the cap.

If you received a warning or charge for going over then talk to your ISP.

unexplaind intenet usage by my apple tv

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.