Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I convert a pdf to a pages document?

I have a pdf document that I need to convert to a Pages document. Can anyone help me?

Posted on Apr 26, 2011 8:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 26, 2011 10:16 AM

I use on a regular basis the free PDF OCR X which apply only on single page document but I wrote a script to split multipage PDF documents.

I get good results on single column documents and this app spared a lot of time.

Yvan KOENIG (VALLAURIS, France) mardi 26 avril 2011 19:16:44

14 replies

May 4, 2017 12:33 AM in response to thomfromsan francisco

Hi Everyone,

I know this question was submitted in 2011! I am running 10.6.8, which is ridiculously old. I have iWork '09. I received a document made in Publisher / .pub format. I converted the .pub to a PDF. I used this website https://online2pdf.com I was simply going to copy the text into Pages however, it copied over with no formatting, specifically, no returns. I read all the suggestions on this page and decided to convert the PDF to a doc and then let Pages convert the doc. This site converted it with excellent quality for free, fast, and did not require an email. https://smallpdf.com/pdf-to-word

Once downloaded, I right clicked the document, hovered over "Open With" and chose Pages from the list.

The document had many Hawaiian words and okinas that I did not want to deal with manually. I feel this process saved me a great deal of time. I hope this can help someone if you come across this thread and your setup and situation are similar to mine.

Best regards,

Ivy

May 4, 2017 9:41 AM in response to Peggy

Before you posted, I opened a .pub file in LibreOffice v5.3.2 and noted the output formats available. There is no path to a word processing format. Instead, one can save as, or export to:

• Open Document Graphics (.odg)
  • PDF
  • HTML (needs to be output to a folder, as the .pub images and pages are separated into .png, and filename.html (as individual slides of each .pub page).
  • various image formats (including .svg), and single-page TIFF

Apr 26, 2011 8:41 AM in response to thomfromsan francisco

If you actually need the text of the PDF file in Pages you'll either have to perform a series of copy and pastes or purchase a program that converts PDF files to text format. Usually the output of such a program requires some editing, it isn't perfect but when the document is long, it sure beats copying and pasting page after page after page.

You can also import a single PDF file into Pages as a graphic file, not a text file. But this might be another solution.

Jul 15, 2016 6:19 PM in response to thomfromsan francisco

There is now a .pdf to Pages converter that supposedly works very well. the solutions here would work but would involve a TON of manual labor and wouldn't look great because of kerning, leading etc being out of whack. Google the pdf to Pages converter and try the free demo, It's supposed to be awesome. I haven't tried it because I do most in InDesign now but I've heard excellent things about it. (I don't work for them no, LOL) report back so we know...these other answers don't say much...not very realistic to take any of these routes if you don't have to.

Jul 31, 2016 1:53 PM in response to Faslane

IIt'd be great if you could mention the name of the app that converts PDFs to Pages "very well."

I saved a web page as a PDF on my iPad. The only program it would allow me to save it in is iBooks. It's there, but have no option to send it to Pages or anywhere else, only to print it. It also won't allow me to cut and paste the text.

How can I access it? I'd love to save it as an image, but i can't figure out how to do that, either.

Jul 31, 2016 1:54 PM in response to thomfromsan francisco

I saved a web page as a PDF on my iPad. The only program it would allow me to save it in is iBooks. It's there, but have no option to send it to Pages or anywhere else, only to print it. It also won't allow me to cut and paste the text.

How can I access it? I'd love to save it as an image, but i can't figure out how to do that, either.

thanks for any help!

Jul 31, 2016 2:04 PM in response to Smeefy

iBooks for iOS has a Sharing icon. Send that Web Page PDF to yourself as an email attachment, save it to your Desktop on the Mac, and then drag/drop that PDF into Pages as content.

With the PDF selected in Pages, you can then select the Arrange tab in the right panel, and scale and rotate it (if you need landscape orientation). Pages is not however, a PDF editor.

How do I convert a pdf to a pages document?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.