Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Timemachine and mounted .dmg images?

Hi,

I wonder if I can backup with timemachine the contentes of a mounted dmg image?

My idea is to have a truecrypt volume and backup its contents. Using filevault with timemachine is not as

easy and simple as I was thinking.

So, if I can modify timemachine to backup any mounted image in /Volumes/, that would solve my problems.

Many thanks

Oliver

MacBook 2,1, Mac OS X (10.6.6)

Posted on Apr 26, 2011 10:29 AM

6 replies

Apr 26, 2011 10:58 AM in response to OliverSL

Yes, as long as a mounted device is not excluded. TM should backup any mounted device that isn't excluded.

If you backup the data you want encrypted using TM, then that data are no longer secure. Sort of obviates the point of an encrypted disc image.

I've never experimented with this myself, but I suppose TM may be programmed to ignore mounted disc images and only backup the image file itself whether or not it's encrypted.

Jan 17, 2012 2:37 PM in response to Kappy

Hi guys, I have kind of similiar problem, only in my configuration there is no TC volume, whole partition was encrypted using TrueCrypt. Does anyone know the way to back up data stored on this drive with TM? BTW I understand the security issues and it's kind of cool that TM recognize encrypted volume and does not copy it's contents when its in the clear but ... shouldn't it also recognize whether my TimeCapsule is encrypted? In my case it is so it should work just fine.

Off topic - I only use TrueCrypt because once I enter password to encrypted HFS+ non system partition in Mac OS X Lion it's always avalaible to everyone, even if I unmount it, it's still unlocked, no password required to mount it again. Only way I found to lock the drive again was to shut down the system. Is there any other solution?

Thanks,

Peter

Timemachine and mounted .dmg images?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.