10 Replies Latest reply: Jul 19, 2011 10:45 AM by rccharles
Lennart Thelander Level 8 Level 8 (38,220 points)

Since iMovie 6 (and previous) is a very different app than iMovie 7 ('08) (and later), I suggest splitting the iMovie forum into two:

iMovie

iMovie '06 and previous.

 

What do you think?

  • MattiMattMatt Level 4 Level 4 (2,420 points)

    Lennart Thelander wrote:

     

    Since iMovie 6 (and previous) is a very different app than iMovie 7 ('08) (and later), I suggest splitting the iMovie forum into two:

    iMovie

    iMovie '06 and previous.

     

    What do you think?

     

    While there's an argument for that for sure, I think there's a better argument against it: the percentage of early version iMovie questions is going to diminish over time, there's going to be people using new versions of iMovie knowing answers to old iMovie questions (it broadens the pool of respondents), and it would be inconsistent with the rest of the new forum. There are also unsegregated but different products elsewhere as well, for example, Garageband for iPad and Garageband for Mac in the same section. IMHO, as long as people specify what they're discussing, I kind of like the new throw-it-all-together approach better.

  • snifflesniffle Level 1 Level 1 (110 points)

    It looks like there are tags for those in the discussions tab of iMovie. I saw it under Popular Tags...

     

    Screen shot 2011-04-26 at 10.14.20 PM.png

    I guess the next question is that you would need to make sure the right posts are tagged correctly.

  • Lennart Thelander Level 8 Level 8 (38,220 points)

    MattiMattMatt wrote:

    I think there's a better argument against it: the percentage of early version iMovie questions is going to diminish over time

    I draw the opposite conclusion: The posts I can answer are already drowning in questions about the later version that I know nothing about.

  • Lennart Thelander Level 8 Level 8 (38,220 points)

    snifflesniffle wrote:

    I guess the next question is that you would need to make sure the right posts are tagged correctly.

    Exactly. It's already difficult to get posters to post relevant information such as app version, Mac model, OS version etc. So they don't tag their posts either...

  • snifflesniffle Level 1 Level 1 (110 points)

    Interesting, I see they have now added iMovie to the list of products when you make a post. I've now added iMovie '11 to my list of products.

  • Klaus1 Level 8 Level 8 (45,615 points)

    I agree with you completely Lennart.

     

    When I first went to the iMovie forum I tagged iMovie 6, and use the resulting URL as my bookmark.

     

    I may miss a few questions, but I cannot be bothered to read all the posts about iMovie later than 6, which I don't use, don't understand, don't work on my iMac G5, and generally dislike intensely!

  • Klaus1 Level 8 Level 8 (45,615 points)

    MattiMattMatt wrote:

     

    There are also unsegregated but different products elsewhere as well, for example, Garageband for iPad and Garageband for Mac in the same section. IMHO, as long as people specify what they're discussing, I kind of like the new throw-it-all-together approach better.

    The result is chaos and confusion, and I disagree with you completely!

  • MattiMattMatt Level 4 Level 4 (2,420 points)

    Lennart Thelander wrote:

     

    MattiMattMatt wrote:

    I think there's a better argument against it: the percentage of early version iMovie questions is going to diminish over time

    I draw the opposite conclusion: The posts I can answer are already drowning in questions about the later version that I know nothing about.

     

    I'm not sure that's an opposite conclusion: granted it's worse for the subset of users who use legacy versions, but over time, the % of legacy users will diminish.

  • dave phelan Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)

    I use iMovie 6Hd in school all the time and cannot understand the messing with the communities boards. It was a dream to be able to post to the iMovie 6 section and as I too do not use later versions my questions are not relevant to later versions. Please do not forget that there are many many early macs running iMovie 6 and earlier. I do so as it is by far a teachers dream programme.....apart from that dreadful iMovie8 version

  • rccharles Level 5 Level 5 (6,175 points)
    and it would be inconsistent with the rest of the new forum. There are also unsegregated but different products elsewhere as well, for example, Garageband for iPad and Garageband for Mac in the same section.

    Just because Apple got it wrong elsewhere doesn't force them to get it wrong here.

     

    The rest of this mess should be cleaned up too!

     

    Robert