Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie forum should be divided

Since iMovie 6 (and previous) is a very different app than iMovie 7 ('08) (and later), I suggest splitting the iMovie forum into two:

iMovie

iMovie '06 and previous.

What do you think?

Posted on Apr 26, 2011 10:38 AM

10 replies

Apr 26, 2011 2:14 PM in response to Lennart Thelander

Lennart Thelander wrote:

Since iMovie 6 (and previous) is a very different app than iMovie 7 ('08) (and later), I suggest splitting the iMovie forum into two:

iMovie

iMovie '06 and previous.

What do you think?

While there's an argument for that for sure, I think there's a better argument against it: the percentage of early version iMovie questions is going to diminish over time, there's going to be people using new versions of iMovie knowing answers to old iMovie questions (it broadens the pool of respondents), and it would be inconsistent with the rest of the new forum. There are also unsegregated but different products elsewhere as well, for example, Garageband for iPad and Garageband for Mac in the same section. IMHO, as long as people specify what they're discussing, I kind of like the new throw-it-all-together approach better.

Apr 27, 2011 2:53 AM in response to Lennart Thelander

I agree with you completely Lennart.

When I first went to the iMovie forum I tagged iMovie 6, and use the resulting URL as my bookmark.

I may miss a few questions, but I cannot be bothered to read all the posts about iMovie later than 6, which I don't use, don't understand, don't work on my iMac G5, and generally dislike intensely! 🙂

Apr 27, 2011 2:55 AM in response to MattiMattMatt

MattiMattMatt wrote:

There are also unsegregated but different products elsewhere as well, for example, Garageband for iPad and Garageband for Mac in the same section. IMHO, as long as people specify what they're discussing, I kind of like the new throw-it-all-together approach better.

The result is chaos and confusion, and I disagree with you completely! 🙂

Apr 30, 2011 10:19 AM in response to Lennart Thelander

Lennart Thelander wrote:

MattiMattMatt wrote:

I think there's a better argument against it: the percentage of early version iMovie questions is going to diminish over time

I draw the opposite conclusion: The posts I can answer are already drowning in questions about the later version that I know nothing about.

I'm not sure that's an opposite conclusion: granted it's worse for the subset of users who use legacy versions, but over time, the % of legacy users will diminish.

Jul 19, 2011 9:12 AM in response to MattiMattMatt

I use iMovie 6Hd in school all the time and cannot understand the messing with the communities boards. It was a dream to be able to post to the iMovie 6 section and as I too do not use later versions my questions are not relevant to later versions. Please do not forget that there are many many early macs running iMovie 6 and earlier. I do so as it is by far a teachers dream programme.....apart from that dreadful iMovie8 version

iMovie forum should be divided

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.