Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Ghost-Images" after repairing the library & freezing on quit often

Dear People,

i have the following problem: whenever i repair the library, i will have some "ghost images" pop up.

With ghost images, i mean images which carry and yellow triangle and exclamation marc for the image not being "there" or even only a white dotted line surrounding an former image (no preview image, no image with double click)

Now that point is, i did A LOT to get rid of this

- repair permissions

- repair librbray

- reconstruct library

- manually delete those images and so on

I even did a complete new build up of my extensive library

but always when i repair the library now, those "ghost images" will come again. they are always the same

I have always newest OS X and aperture versions etc, i have an iMac i7 with big RAM, big harddrive and so on.

Oh, and i also quite often experience that freezing bug when quitting aperture, when it will forever try to update the preview images sometimes after deleting the aperture trash and so on.

support hasnt been of help,

this problem bothers me for months now!

thanks, alexander

iMac i7, Mac OS X (10.6.6)

Posted on Apr 26, 2011 11:37 AM

11 replies

May 11, 2011 11:27 PM in response to Alexander Reinelt1

Well, in the meantime i once again tried to repair the library but the ghost images wont go away.

anybody an idea?

btw last time i called apple they told me that "the 90 days period is over and there is no protection plan available for aperture". well..... maybe i just buy a new copy of the very same programm, register it and report the error ?

thats probably not how it was meant to be.....

alexander

May 12, 2011 5:13 AM in response to Alexander Reinelt1

alexander -- I'm sorry to hear about your problems; your frustration that Aperture is not working well for you is understandable. Complaining about that -- or anything -- on this discussion board won't help. We are an unaffiliated group of Aperture enthusiast who volunteer our time and expertise to help people like you make the most of Aperture. We have no connection to Apple, Inc. Speaking for myself, I find your attitude off-putting.

Have you tried exporting all the containers in your Library via "Export→Project as New Library"? You should do this, of course, after (once again) weeding out the problem images.

Trouble-shooting is a painstaking process of elimination. Eventually you'll either resolve the issue or determine that it is unresolvable. You are not there yet.

{Added} What are the five settings you are using for Previews (as shown on "Aperture→Preferences→Previews")? It may be worth addressing the very long processing on closing Aperture issue separately. When was the last time you force-quit Aperture?

Message was edited by: Kirby Krieger

Jul 8, 2011 10:51 AM in response to Kirby Krieger

Just today (force quit).

And of course several times since your post.

I have since been upgrading from an old i7 imac to a new thunderbolt i7 imac with SSD and am now trying to get my aperture library repaired.

That means I have been trying it for a few hours now.

What I will try next is to export a project which has been cleaned of "ghosts" and then see if i can in that way rebuild my library and keywords and so on on a new ground without "ghosts".

Any help in how to export all my pictures or who to automatically have all images displayed, which have a small yellow attention sign in the right lower corner is appreciated.

so far, i have to single them out by going through my library manually

thanks

Jul 10, 2011 12:24 AM in response to Kirby Krieger

Ok, i now found out, that i can export albums and albums withing projects as well.

But there is one point - when doing this export i am presented with three options, the first one being something (translated into english) like "move originals together in export" or "merge", i dont know - because i dont really now what this option means and i couldnt find anything on it. anybody happens to know?

thanks

Jul 10, 2011 4:34 AM in response to Alexander Reinelt1

I think this is (the English version of) the dialog you mean:

User uploaded file

Checking the first option tells Aperture to, when creating this new Library, copy all of the Masters of the Images being exported, into it as Managed Masters. In other words, you end up with a complete Managed Library containing Images and all of the Masters for all of those Images.

Jul 14, 2011 4:12 AM in response to Alexander Reinelt1

Well,

it seems to me that the basic problem is still there!

What I did:

i have this whole new library which seems to work finde so far.

When I delete a picture everything works fine.

empty trash

start aperture again

everything ok.

But then when I start aperture again with "repair library", i will have a project "wiederhergestellte Bilder" (rescued or resurrected pictures?) which does contain the ones which were deleted.

This is exactly where my library started to fail last time! So the images are still there allthough everything has been deleted and probably some error is also still there?

"Ghost-Images" after repairing the library & freezing on quit often

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.