Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Disk Utility will not partition or erase EHD

I have a new WD external hard drive that was my Time Machine backup. It acted weird on me and I set it aside forever. I have attempted to erase and partition the drive but it will not work.. it is not recongized on the desktop or Finder, but DU does see it but will not list a partition under its listing like other EHD do. I have followed all the advice on WD help to swap cables, etc. WD told me that I have an operating system error that will not allow me to complete the erase or partition.

Do I have any options?

MacPro, Mac OS X (10.5.8), MacBook Pro, iPhone 3Gs, iPad wifi+3G 32gb

Posted on Apr 26, 2011 3:32 PM

3 replies

Apr 26, 2011 5:14 PM in response to me100finn

I assume you have tried connecting the drive to a another computer? Another Mac, or even a Windows machine might be able to reformat that drive.

But assuming that does not work there is another approach I would try. The problem might well be in the electronics of the external enclosure. (I have had more than one of these "bridge" circuit boards just quit working.) If that is the case the drive itself would work as an internal, or another enclosure. It is usually not difficult to open these external enclosures. After you do that it's easy to take out the hard drive and install it as a second drive in another computer. The only trick in that is to make sure the jumpers on the second drive are correctly configured for it to work as a secondary drive.

Disk Utility will not partition or erase EHD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.