Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there a way to password protect my folders that store my apps?

I want to lock certain folders that contain adult apps, so my nephews don't open the folder

Posted on Apr 26, 2011 4:18 PM

14 replies

Apr 27, 2011 12:57 AM in response to gdgmacguy

It may not have been 'intended' to be a multi-user device but it certainly is one in all the examples I've seen. Family use also features heavily in a lot of the promotional material.

I think this goes back to the roots of iOS, i.e. iPhones and iPods. Now they are one-user devices.

In my opinion, Apple needs a bit of a rethink on the iPad version of iOS. There have been many requests here for features such as password protected email, which I would have thought would not be difficult to implement.

Apr 27, 2011 1:03 AM in response to igmackenzie

It's meant to hide existing apps (not that many of my apps seem to have age ratings, apart from the browser I bought). Downloading of apps can only be on or off via it's own restriction setting.

And I agree about the location - makes answering some questions easier, such as those relating to iTunes/ App stores which can be location specific.

Apr 27, 2011 1:27 AM in response to King_Penguin

Hmm.. I've just experimented with the restrictions settings, and if I set them to not allow 17+ then a whole load of apps that access the internet like all my browsers get hidden!

Now, I understand the logic of that, but it makes that setting have very limited use. Maybe Apple should introduce a new category for 'adult' apps to allow people like the OP to do what he is looking for.

Apr 27, 2011 1:55 AM in response to King_Penguin

King_Penguin wrote:

My browser is the only app that when it has updates I have to confirm that I am over 18.

Same for me.

At the moment the iPad is very much a single user device.

Well, it's more that that iOS was designed to be for single users with it's iPhone and iPod origins. In practice, the iPad is most definitely not a single user device, IMO. (see post above)

Message was edited by: igmackenzie

Oct 8, 2011 2:24 PM in response to gdgmacguy

There are reasons that there should be a locking feature for files even with a single user device. This is particularly true for school use and even more for students with autism. If you require a student to do academics, use a device for communication purposes or reference a schedule on an iPad, you want to make sure that the individual does not skip into the motivational apps folder when something else is supposed to be happening. Don't make the assumption that it will be all fine if there was an adult in attendance. There are two reasons that this is not a valid argument. Children with autism (or others as well) will often take a restriction that is external a lot better than someone telling them what to do. If they discover a folder locked, they may simply move on. If someone tells them no, they may not be able to understand. A meltdown could ensue. The other reason is because we want to teach kids to be more independent. If we have to hover as they are going through a schedule, then it is not good for their growth. We need locking folders so we can communicate first ______ then _____ and make it work.

Apr 1, 2013 7:47 AM in response to kathrynfw

Great post. I too am facing the same problem.

I was jailbroken on my iPhone 4S iOS 5.0.1 and had the liberty to modify my device. It was so easy to lock apps and folders as I desired. Unfortunately, I had to restore. iTunes didn't allow me to restore to anything other than iOS 6.1.3. Now it has become increasingly difficult for me to use my iPhone.

It is pertinent to mention that Apple should take notice of these small things to make iOS better. Apple's claim that iOS is an easy to use system is wrong. You can do all the great stuff like toggling features on and off on an Android phone much easily directly from the status bar. But on a non jailbroken iPhone nothing's possible.

Maybe people should start buying androids instead of iPhones and iPods.

If Apple improves iOS maybe the need for jailbreaks totally goes of.

Is there a way to password protect my folders that store my apps?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.