Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Improving Alias Usage

Hi, all,

My job requires I regularly present a wide variety of material. I often present a couple presentations and several videos. Sometimes content is unique to a session but often I am reusing videos and presentations from other meetings.

I am currently organizing my content by putting all files in a single appropriately named folder. Because I do not want to duplicate storage I put aliases to original files in this directory when existing content is used.

Here comes the problem: invariably at the end of a presentation someone walks up and says, "may I have all the content you presented?" As you probably know, I cannot just drag the contents of the folder to a USB stick or they will receive broken aliases and not original files. For me to get the originals, I have to "show original" for every document and then individually copy each file. This is a pain when many aliases are involved.

I am looking for a better way to do this. Can anyone help? My thoughts are:

• Is there a simple way to write an AppleScript (I am a novice!) that would copy a directory's contents to the clipboard while replacing aliases with the original files?
  • Is there a command I can execute from the command line that would copy a directory or a group of files, replacing aliases with originals?
  • Is there any other kind of automation I could build to do this?
  • Should I be using something other than aliases that would accomplish my objective?

Thanks!

Scott

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.3.9)

Posted on Apr 26, 2011 7:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 26, 2011 9:43 PM

Hi,

Take a look at AliasHerder.

2 replies

Apr 27, 2011 3:49 AM in response to drummonds

I'm not sure if there is a GUI utility to do that, but cp in the command line can resolve aliases as it copies.

If you post at the Unix forum, you might find someone that can help you create the script inside an Automator wrapper that would allow you to right-click and copy.

rsync with -rL options will copy the directory and follow aliases. However, I tried it and the resulting file couldn't be opened.

You might try posting on the unix forum under Mac OS X Technologies

Improving Alias Usage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.