Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wireless keyboard and iPhone 3GS

I am looking to buy an Apple wireless keyboard to hook up to my iPhone 3GS, but will it link via Bluetooth?

Posted on Apr 27, 2011 12:15 AM

4 replies

Apr 4, 2012 3:12 PM in response to Jezzah

YES IT WILL WORK.

I know because I do it.

I don't know where Barry Hemphill got his info. I originally bought the Apple Bluetooth keyboard so I could run a home theater Mac from across the room. When I got my iPhone 3GS, it was already known that the iPhone officially supported the Apple Bluetooth keyboard. When I tried to pair them, it worked, and it's worked ever since. And it works with my iPad as well. I understand that non-Apple Bluetooth keyboards also work.

I took the Apple Bluetooth keyboard with me on a trip once where I knew I didn't need my laptop, but I wanted to type out some longer emails. It worked great, and was much less painful than long-form text entry on the iPhone keyboard.

The key to using the Apple Bluetooth keyboard with an iPhone or iPad is knowing about holding down the power switch on the side, so you can turn it off. This prevents unintended keystrokes from waking up an iPhone or iPad during transport.

Here is the official Apple tech note. The iPhone 3GS is listed.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4112

Wireless keyboard and iPhone 3GS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.