Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Loud fan in macbook air

loud fan on my late 2010 macbook air is that normal?

MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on Apr 27, 2011 12:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 27, 2011 10:05 PM

No it's not normal however please try a SMC reset and see if the loud fan continues:

SMC RESET

• Shut down the computer.
  • Plug in the MagSafe power adapter to a power source, connecting it to the Mac if its not already connected.
  • On the built-in keyboard, press the (left side) Shift-Control-Option keys and the power button at the same time.
  • Release all the keys and the power button at the same time.
  • Press the power button to turn on the computer.

PRAM RESET

• Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step
  • Turn on the computer.
  • Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears.
  • Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.
  • Release the keys.

Roger

20 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 27, 2011 10:05 PM in response to RGutz

No it's not normal however please try a SMC reset and see if the loud fan continues:

SMC RESET

• Plug in the MagSafe power adapter to a power source, connecting it to the Mac if its not already connected.
  • On the built-in keyboard, press the (left side) Shift-Control-Option keys and the power button at the same time.
  • Release all the keys and the power button at the same time.
  • Press the power button to turn on the computer.

PRAM RESET

• Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step
  • Turn on the computer.
  • Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears.
  • Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.
  • Release the keys.

Roger

Sep 15, 2011 5:01 AM in response to RGutz

I have always felt that Apple's parameters for fan speed are much more dramatic then many other PC makers. They try and keep the fan noise to a minimum for as long as possible. But then when it does become neccesary for the fan to cool it has to play catch up. I have found the is more apparent with the MacBook Air. Probably because of the limited cooling space. I have run temperature tests before and have typical found Apple Mac's to run a bit higher before the fans begin to speed up and cool. I have never seen them reach unsafe levels. Many PC's tend to run a higher RPM even at minimum and some simply have a more on or off method of cooling which seems to be the most annoying. I do prefer Apple's gradual increases over a rapid RPM increase. If you are getting constant high speed fan operation then something is wrong.

Sep 15, 2011 6:58 AM in response to rkaufmann87

I think resetting SMC is such a overused "fix for all" solution. It goes right along with permission repairs. As someone who repairs Mac's I think a more practical solution is to find out if a thread or program is causing it rather then just saying its the SMC. In fact I find many times people are complaining about a normal operation and are trying to fix what is not broken. I do agree the "Me Too" does nothing for finding a solution to one persons problem. They may in fact have a different problem with similar results. But suggesting a SMC reset is pretty much creating a generic solve all answer too.

Sep 15, 2011 7:04 AM in response to John Scott1

Resetting the SMC for fan related issues is what Apple recommends. I'm sure you're aware of this bulletin but just in case here is the word from the horses mouth:

SMC Reset

While I agree suggesting a SMC reset is a very common suggestion it frequently does fix different problems therefore it's correct to suggest it. In addition resetting the SMC doesn't hurt and if nothing else eliminates what might be a potential cause to an issue.

Loud fan in macbook air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.