Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Widget install suggestion

In Your Home Page > Your View > personalize, the Preview column seems unnecessarily elaborate & confusing.

For one thing, I don't think the links in the preview should be active -- that makes it possible to click on one by accident & be taken to whatever it points to, with no way to go directly back to the personalize mode of the home page. For another, it isn't obvious to many that the large green "Drag to Add" area is in fact what you have to drag into the layout, perhaps because it is mistaken for instructional text.

I think it would be just as useful as a preview & much less confusing if the column contained a static image representative of what the widget looked like & dragging anywhere on that image moved it into place.

It might also be helpful to add a rollover overlay that appeared near it with a description of its purpose, similar in content to the white-on-black text currently to the right of the green drag area, but with the capacity for a longer description.

I would prefer that this & all other rollover overlays throughout ASC appear after a brief delay rather than immediately, much like "tool tip" & other hover-sensitive popups do in many apps. This is to reduce the distraction those immediate popups cause when just moving the pointer around on the screen or clicking on an item that is both a link & a popup. This is particularly distracting in the "Places" & "Communities" list items on home pages.

If you think any of this is (or is not) a good idea, please say so. Our hosts can't possibly implement all our suggestions, but if one proves popular it has a much better chance.

Thanks!

Posted on Apr 27, 2011 3:53 AM

1 reply

Widget install suggestion

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.