Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

where is email paintbrush formatter?

where is the mac email paintbrush formatter feature (icon would be good) like in outlook? for a company that markets itself at the leading edge of technology in it's industry, I am at a loss why this feature is missing.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on Apr 27, 2011 7:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 27, 2011 9:50 AM

it took me 8 steps to do

I'm not sure what you did, then, since Paste and Match Style is one menu choice or keypress away (Edit -> Paste and Match Style, or option-shift-command-V). Maybe two steps if you have to switch the new message from plain text to rich text. How you get the formatted text into the clipboard - whether by copying from TextEdit or another message or wherever - is not really relevant.

Microsoft outlook with the brush icon takes 3 steps.

Yeah, but Outlook is in significant ways incompatible with every other e-mail system on the planet. For example, consider its inability to correctly render HTML e-mails. But hey, at least you have the "paintbrush formatter!"

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 27, 2011 9:50 AM in response to fish25

it took me 8 steps to do

I'm not sure what you did, then, since Paste and Match Style is one menu choice or keypress away (Edit -> Paste and Match Style, or option-shift-command-V). Maybe two steps if you have to switch the new message from plain text to rich text. How you get the formatted text into the clipboard - whether by copying from TextEdit or another message or wherever - is not really relevant.

Microsoft outlook with the brush icon takes 3 steps.

Yeah, but Outlook is in significant ways incompatible with every other e-mail system on the planet. For example, consider its inability to correctly render HTML e-mails. But hey, at least you have the "paintbrush formatter!"

Apr 27, 2011 8:33 AM in response to fish25

Hello Fish25,

Not sure what you mean with "paintbrush formatter", but allow me to make a guess.

If you mean the capability to copy formats from one part of a message to another you can find this in the Format menu, Styles option where you'll find options to Copy and Paste Style. Unfortunately I don't think these can be added to the standard toolbar in Mail. On the other hand, the shortcuts for copy and paste of styles (Option-Cmd-C and Option-Cmd-V) are the same across all Apple applications.

You can provide your feedback on Mail to Apple at http://www.apple.com/feedback/mail.html

Eric

where is email paintbrush formatter?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.