Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Adobe won one race - D5100

Adobe really impressed me this time. About one week after Nikon's D5100 became widely available, Adobe Camera Raw and Lightroom already support its RAW files.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/1104/11042708adobelightroomacrupdate.asp

Apple, how is it going for you?

Posted on Apr 27, 2011 10:49 AM

6 replies

Apr 27, 2011 11:49 AM in response to Magnus Lewan

Hi Magnus Lewan,

Adobe adds camera raw support to their programs. Apple adds camera raw support to the OS. That is the difference in the manner each vendor handles supporting new cameras. New cameras come out new raw converters are needed it is a never ending cycle.

We must await for Apple to update camera raw.

You have three times the post I do so you are well aware Apple does not live in these forums; these are user to user forums. So, stating "Apple, how is it going for you?" falls on deaf ears.

Cordially,

RicD

May 18, 2011 5:31 AM in response to Magnus Lewan

Hi Magnus Lewan,

Raw files are not an ISO standard. Each camera maker have different raw files for each of their cameras, and sometimes with a firmware upgrade the raw file for a camera model is changed as well; has happened. To add raw support to their software Apple along with other software producers must reverse engineer these raw coding, so yes three weeks is rather short. Software vendors such as Apple can never be ahead of the curve they are always behind it as they must await the next camera raw file. This is a never ending struggle.

Now think about five, twenty or more years in time, how will folks be able to read todays raw files. It is true software manufactures are dropping support for older raw file converters.

On a side note: To me it does not make sense saying a raw is a digital negative. Raw is a proprietary file code mated to a camera and sometimes firmware. Each camera maker has different raw coding. When I think negatives I see something I can hold and seeing it without a proprietary device. YMMV.

The above is my rant. Have a nice day.

Cordially,

RicD

Adobe won one race - D5100

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.