Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Gifting an "App."

Can I, from the U.K., gift an "App." to a friend with a U.S. iTunes account ?

DM

Mac Mini 2010, iPhone 4, iPad 2, Nano 6, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on Apr 27, 2011 10:41 AM

10 replies

Apr 27, 2011 12:46 PM in response to Dan Mitchell1

Digital Rights at play. There is no way for the owner of the apps (or it's "intellectual content") to know that if you gave it to someone, that you dutifully deleted it from your own devices and are not still using it.

I know, back in the day, people swapped software discs all the time, but that did not make it technically legal, nor fair to developers to do so. Now, with remote distribution of software, especially much of that in the app store which does represent the efforts of single individuals, there are new attempts to control distribution to legal avenues that help ensure the developer gets fair payment for their property.

I'm not saying you are consciously trying to do anything unethical or illegal, just trying to give a reason why it is so, and why, from the viewpoint of a developer, it is not that odd.

Apr 27, 2011 1:14 PM in response to Michael Black

Michael Black wrote:

Digital Rights at play. There is no way for the owner of the apps (or it's "intellectual content") to know that if you gave it to someone, that you dutifully deleted it from your own devices and are not still using it.

This has nothing to do with it.

When you Gift an app, it is paid for with your iTunes account but the app is given to the giftee in their iTunes account.

You cannot download the app without purchasing it for yourself.

It's not possible in this case because gifts can only be given to someone using the same country store as the person sending the gift (can't do cross border gifting).

See this -> http://www.apple.com/itunes/gifts/

Apr 27, 2011 5:53 PM in response to Chris CA

I meant by the above additional question the plastic "iTunes Gift cards" sold in various places in the UK.

(I now understand I cannot gift an "App." from the UK to someone with a US iTunes a/c.)

I see nothing on the shop displays here that says ithe card can only be redeemed in UK; they do not appear to have any restriction as to Country of use.

Apr 27, 2011 6:19 PM in response to Dan Mitchell1

"Gift Certificates, iTunes Cards, Content Codes, and Allowances purchased in the United Kingdom may be redeemed through the Stores only in the United Kingdom."

http://www.apple.com/legal/itunes/uk/terms.html#SALE

Look in the section titled GIFT CERTIFICATES, ITUNES CARDS, ALLOWANCES, AND CONTENT CODES

You can shop for gifts in the local iTunes Store and have gifts delivered in 15 European countries, the the USA is not included. http://store.apple.com/uk/browse/campaigns/cross_border?mco=MTM3ODM3MDY

Gifting an "App."

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.