Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can the iPad connect to the internet via an ADHOC network?

I currently deployed to Afghanistan. I have the 1st gen 32 gb Wifi only iPad. I need to register the Kindle app but do not have a wifi connection anywhere around. I've created an ADHOC network on my computer and connected my iPad to that. But cannot get my ipad to connect to the internet. All i need is to register the kindle app so that it will open and I can read my books. I have a wired internet connection, but no wireless. Any other suggestions on how to get the ipad to connect to the internet would be helpful!!!!

Posted on Apr 27, 2011 10:54 AM

15 replies

Apr 27, 2011 11:39 AM in response to Psychotic_Klown

OK. On your computer, go to Control Panel, Network and Internet, Set up a new connection or network.

At the bottom of that window, you'll see:

Set up a wireless ad-hoc (computer to computer) network

Set up a temporary network for sharing files or an internet connection.

Click to highlight this and click on the NEXT button.

It will ask you for

Network name (create your own),

Type security (check your Op-Area requirements. I recommend WPA2)

Security Key (required for a secure network)

From there, it will start setting up the new network and step you through it.

Apr 28, 2011 11:57 AM in response to Psychotic_Klown

OK, I tried this myself and my conclusion is: Mystery!

Without any authentication or with WEP security it works nicely.

But when using WPA2-Personal security I couldn't get it to work at all.

This is strange, because when I use my iPad with my router in WPA2-Personal security there isn't the slightest problem.

If others got an "ad hoc" network going using WPA2-Personal security and their iPad, I would appreciate if they could chime in to solve this riddle. Incidentally, I have the same problem with my iPod Touch.

Apr 22, 2013 5:32 AM in response to Apfelwurm

At my work place, I face the same problem. Other collegue uses adhoc from Windows Dell laptop to Windows other laptops but no apple product can get connected to it.

It shows the connection in wireless network. It also asks for password to connect and the passward is correct. But it just says 'unable to connect'

Since m the only person using Apple it becomes a big joke and I feel embarraced to defend Apple. Kind find a solution as fast as possible.

Can the iPad connect to the internet via an ADHOC network?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.